• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buying cards at the Future Shop, my experience

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Garrett_thief2

I posted this in "gripes and moans" but thought it was appropriate to post it here too.....

Just thought i'd type this up to let everyone know what happens when you buy from The Future Shop in Thunder Bay, Ontario.

In August i bought a Visiontek GeForce 4 Ti4400 for $369. I bought it because its a kick *** card, with a lifetime warranty.The salesman at the future shop explained to me that Visiontek has an awesome, no-hassle lifetime warranty, and that if i ever had any problems with it, The Future Shop would gladly replace it, no problem. So i decided to buy it right then and there. We discussed the "over the counter replacement deal", wich would have cost an additional $50. I asked the salesman why i should bother with it if the card came with a lifetime warranty.He replied. "i don't know, i'm just supposed to ask you if you want it"

Ok, so fast forward a few months till yesterday.My Ti4400 died.I replaced it with my backup card, and all was well with the system.

So i go down to The Future Shop and explain that i tested the card in 2 different machines, and it failed to display video in either.Both machines work fine with other cards.I am told by Jenn, the customer support girl that the card would have to be tested, and it might take a few hours.I say fine,, and ask what will happen when they find it is a dead card.I am told that i will have to purchase the "over the counter" replacement policy, and that she would back date it. Since they were sold out of Ti4400's i ask her if i would get the 4600 as a replacement.She left for 10 minutes and came back to let me know that i would indeed get a 4600.I say fine, i'll go for that then.

She brings the tech over, and he tells me that i would not get a 4600, but that i would get a Radeon 8500le.I tell them noway, thats BS. They then take all offers of help or support off the table.Now they will do nothing for me.I become angry.Paul, the Tech tells me "what did you expect....Visiontek went under, thats why the card was on a clearance sale" .........I lost it!!! In effect they sold me a card knowing that it would not warrantied, yet they really hyped the warranty. I told them i felt deceived and outraged.

Fast forward 45 minutes.Tech guy tells me that he will give me one option, and i have only a few minutes to decide.They will give me a store credit for $369, to use towards anything in the store, but i have to go for it right now.He walked away to let me think about it.

I tell him that i'm gonna buy a $229 Radeon 9000, and a $170 80 gig hard drive, and i will gladly pay the difference.....he says "noway,dude....its gotta be on a videocard only....if you decide on a $229 card, thats all you get" I lost it again!!.....they are robbing me, with the intent to rape me.....

So in the end, my choices were : 1. Pay $369 for a $229 dollar card or 2. Buy a $530 Ti4600 without any hopes of future support or 3. Fork out the cash for a $650 Radeon 9700 and try to take comfort in knowing i had the best card on the market.

I chose 3.....I had to, it was to only logical choice to make at the time.....

Jenn, the customer support girl was nice, and she did try to help, but Paul, the tech guy, was a real jerk.He was obnoxious.a small guy trying to bully me around.

what do you guys think?

Samoyed

Sounds like they dont really have any policy at all at that store and were just winging it.

One way to pressure fools like that is to sue them in small claims court. I dont know if they have that in Canada. Once they get the summons they will settle cause they dont want the hassle. U can also stay in the store and keep bitching till u get your way and start throwing terms around like fraudulent advertising, bait and switch etc... You can also go back to the store with a person who is a better arguer than you and let them bust chops.

Always start off nice and only get mean if u have to.

OP
G

Garrett_thief2

I guess in the end, i'm happy that i got an awesome card, just not happy how i got it.The crew at The Future Shop strongarmed me, and tried thier best to make me feel helpless.Then they told me how much of a favour they did me.They screwed me over in the first place by not telling me it was a clearance sale, and not telling me that visiontek had gone out of business.......they just wanted to move inventory, and they even told me so.

They raped me, and never even kissed me first.

Maximouse

I never deal with them anymore! They are overpriced and I went through the same experience (almost) with a speaker setup I returned to them. I won though :)

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
Didn't even have the courtesy to reach around, eh? That sucks.

Personally, I've never had any problems w/ Futureshop. Save for the warranty things and wanting to punch techs that say there is no 'real' difference between PC100 and PC133 RAM and that burners are only good for 100 CDs or so . . . They've always treated me very well.

Maybe things are different in Thunder Bay, howver.

Cisco Kid

Garrett_thief2 said:
I posted this in "gripes and moans" but thought it was appropriate to post it here too.....

Just thought i'd type this up to let everyone know what happens when you buy from The Future Shop in Thunder Bay, Ontario.

In August i bought a Visiontek GeForce 4 Ti4400 for $369. I bought it because its a kick *** card, with a lifetime warranty.The salesman at the future shop explained to me that Visiontek has an awesome, no-hassle lifetime warranty, and that if i ever had any problems with it, The Future Shop would gladly replace it, no problem. So i decided to buy it right then and there. We discussed the "over the counter replacement deal", wich would have cost an additional $50. I asked the salesman why i should bother with it if the card came with a lifetime warranty.He replied. "i don't know, i'm just supposed to ask you if you want it"

Ok, so fast forward a few months till yesterday.My Ti4400 died.I replaced it with my backup card, and all was well with the system.

So i go down to The Future Shop and explain that i tested the card in 2 different machines, and it failed to display video in either.Both machines work fine with other cards.I am told by Jenn, the customer support girl that the card would have to be tested, and it might take a few hours.I say fine,, and ask what will happen when they find it is a dead card.I am told that i will have to purchase the "over the counter" replacement policy, and that she would back date it. Since they were sold out of Ti4400's i ask her if i would get the 4600 as a replacement.She left for 10 minutes and came back to let me know that i would indeed get a 4600.I say fine, i'll go for that then.

She brings the tech over, and he tells me that i would not get a 4600, but that i would get a Radeon 8500le.I tell them noway, thats BS. They then take all offers of help or support off the table.Now they will do nothing for me.I become angry.Paul, the Tech tells me "what did you expect....Visiontek went under, thats why the card was on a clearance sale" .........I lost it!!! In effect they sold me a card knowing that it would not warrantied, yet they really hyped the warranty. I told them i felt deceived and outraged.

Fast forward 45 minutes.Tech guy tells me that he will give me one option, and i have only a few minutes to decide.They will give me a store credit for $369, to use towards anything in the store, but i have to go for it right now.He walked away to let me think about it.

I tell him that i'm gonna buy a $229 Radeon 9000, and a $170 80 gig hard drive, and i will gladly pay the difference.....he says "noway,dude....its gotta be on a videocard only....if you decide on a $229 card, thats all you get" I lost it again!!.....they are robbing me, with the intent to rape me.....

So in the end, my choices were : 1. Pay $369 for a $229 dollar card or 2. Buy a $530 Ti4600 without any hopes of future support or 3. Fork out the cash for a $650 Radeon 9700 and try to take comfort in knowing i had the best card on the market.

I chose 3.....I had to, it was to only logical choice to make at the time.....

Jenn, the customer support girl was nice, and she did try to help, but Paul, the tech guy, was a real jerk.He was obnoxious.a small guy trying to bully me around.

what do you guys think?

First , YOU GET THE STORE MGR involved. Second you do not accept NO for an answer, deal outside of the pc dept. And Let peop[le in the store hear you complain they do not like that, but be tactful!!

I say this because Futureshop close to where I live CRINGE when they see me walk ion to the PC dept. I have spent way too much money in their store, to be jacked around!!

If they did not have the card in stock their policy states they will exchange for an equal value card or whatever has replaced it if it is no longer available, usually this gets you a newer model item the same day within warranty period if they test the item and it is found not to work right there and then.

If you knowingly bought the card as you mentioned in your post that it was a clearance item then you shjould have bucked up for the exchange policy, cause you were prolly aware that Visiontek was going under.... this is the part where you may have to scream a bit......

I would still go back to the store and ask for the MGR (not of the Computer Dept, but of the Store). You should get an equivalent card for your dead one although you may have to wait for it.

Cisco KId

PS Believe what I say , I just went through this issue with a $3500 HDTV and I am in the process of getting a new replacement as mine is no longer made. Second the same thing happened to me with a digital camera while it was under a regular 1 yr waraanty when it failed and the model was no longer made.

OP
G

Garrett_thief2

Cisco.....at the time time i bought the card, i had no idea that Visiontek had gone out of business.I would not have bought it.That is why i went for the radeon 9700 instead of the cheaper Visiontek ti4600.......support and warranties mean alot to me when i am paying that much........if it was a 50 dollar product i wouldn't be so concerned......

Anyone got any food they wanna donate? I an broke for the next 2 weeks cuz of this bullcrap.......

Cisco Kid

I say you should still go back and complain based on their exchange policy and that you have rightfully been screwed around as a customer.

Tell em straight up but speak to the store MGR only

Cisco KId

OP
G

Garrett_thief2

Wanna know the really funny part?? Paul, the tech, tried to tell me that both the Radeon 8500le and the Radeon 9000 both stomp all over my Ti4400..........what a homo

According to madonion.com, neither come close....

http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=4191186

This is my ti4400 on one of the first tests......not much playing around....i'm sure i could get a bit higher...

Last edited:

Cisco Kid

Garrett_thief2 said:
Wanna know the really funny part?? Paul, the tech fag, tried to tell me that both the Radeon 8500le and the Radeon 9000 both stomp all over my Ti4400..........what a homo

According to madonion.com, neither come close....

http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=4191186

This is my ti4400 on one of the first tests......not much playing around....i'm sure i could get a bit higher...

Leave the remarks to certain peoples sexual orientation outa your posts, just a thought you may wanna consider not that I care but people here in the forum pretty much preach respect to one another , not that you directed any of your comments to anyone in particular.

I hear where you are coming from, you are choked , you got dicked around but get some biggers ****s and go back and give em your piece of mind....

cisco kid

OP
G

Garrett_thief2

Sorry bout the fag thing....just a little ****ed.

I have the balls, just an anger management problem.If i get into a heated arguement, i tend to lose control, in a bad way.......bad idea in a store full of cameras.I seriously almost beat on this paul guy.He totally treated me like a moron.......i was very close to messing him up.....but i'm glad i didn't.

This is war.....and i'm glad i have a place like overclockers forums to vent.I'm sure there will be a few people that will think twice before spending thier money at The Future Shop.......

Hurk

Yeah I got jerked off with a Ricoh 6x4x24 burner. I bought this and the extra warrenty for about $450.00. It finally died and they unhappily replaced it with a Ricoh 6x4x32. Whatever... and when thay died, they replaced it with a $79.99 pos Yamaha burner. Like.. hello.. am I missing something? I pay over $400.00 and I get an $80.00 burner? Uhm... No.

Anyways, I no longer deal with them and any PC part purchases.

Cisco Kid

Interesting, I have bought all my video cards through Futureshop.ca but then again I am not your normal shopper.

I come in only to use their price match policy in addition to getting an extra 10% of the difference off them. I have done very well with all purchases there, never had a single prob. I will continue to buy from them without a prob.

I actually know someone who returned a used 64 ddr vivo in a 8500 box and got the refund LOL, keeping the 8500 for free. I did not agree with that but it did make me laugh!

Cisco KId

OP
G

Garrett_thief2

Cisco Kid said:
I actually know someone who returned a used 64 ddr vivo in a 8500 box and got the refund LOL, keeping the 8500 for free. I did not agree with that but it did make me laugh!

Cisco KId

They just got back what they dish out....they got screwed back.......

OP
G

Garrett_thief2

A friend of mine just went to The Future Shop.We had talked about my problem, and we decided to investigate a bit further..He went there to inquire about the VisionTek Ti4600.He was also told about how great the card is and how great the warranty is.He was also told that nobody has ever had problems with any of these cards.......this is a lie....i was there 2 days ago.....same store, same guy.....the lies continue....

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...9&sku_id=0665000FS10013117&catid=&newdeptid=1

Still hyping the great warranty........

Deadphishy

yea man i feel for yea. you should write them a letter and say your contacting a lawyer. When you write something down it usally has a better effect then screaming it across the store. often the employes get mad and then don't want to help you if you make them look bad.

CraxySerge

I always though that Future Shop had a wicked return policy. Once me and a couple of friends were going to a car show, and we all wanted pictures, so I bought a Digigtal Camera, and toot alot of pictures, and then returnes the camera 2 days later, no questions asked. And then there was the time when I bought a Radeon 8500 off of them and didn't like it, so I returned it the next day, keeping all the wires and DVI converter. I bought a phone there and bought 3 years extended warranty for $125 total. 2.9 years later I find out that they no longer sell or make my phone so I dip my phone in water, and then take it to Future shop for a nice new replacement, and sell the new phone for $100. Lots of good deals at Future Shop. hehe

Samoyed

That's blantantly dishonest. People like you are one of the reasons businesses have to be so harsh in their return policies and keep prices up.

The sad thing is that you seem proud of your subterfuge.