• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buying cards at the Future Shop, my experience

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
to pay the restocking fee? lol. i hate compUSA they suck. a way to get around the restocking fee is by returning for te same item, because they dont charge a restoking fee for that, THEN DONT open it, because they only charge a restocking fee for opened items. Well at least thats how it was the last time i was there, they might have changed it since then.

seems to me since i deal with visiontek as a reseller they still make cards. just ATI owns them now that tech guy dont know jack. and if they went under why they still selling the cards like mad. this guys is crude you should email them at [email protected] and complain about the warranty they will foreward it to the owners of the company as they did for me and you will get helped.

I know now that VisionTek did not really go under, but at the time i didn't.....and i didn't have time to find out.I'm happy with my 9700 tho........ :)

At the time, the 9700 was selling for $650 Canadian, and i paid $470

That sucks man, i have never heard of futureshop they don't exsist around Purdue or around Chicagoland. But if i ever did find one... i sure as H*** won't buy anything from one

I try not to buy from future shop now, inless I am using their price matching policy or the like, which I did when I bought a digital camera a few months ago.

I completely agree about the techs, they are lying *******s.

I did the exact same thing with the digital camera. I was going on a trip for a few days, so I bought a camera, bought an extra memory card, and returned it when I came back. The memory card was opened, everything used. They didn't care.

That's a good idea to swap a good video card with a lesser card and return it :) As long as they don't get their techs to examine the package, you could stick a 5 dollar ethernet card in an expensive video card package and they probably wouldn't know. heheh

glad to hear they tried to work with you then. Sad how they made you go through all those hoops and tried to screw you from the start

Codeman05, I like your avatar. What vehicle is that? I am into rock crawling too:

Im002409.jpg

Its a '91YJ that I've slowly been building up on a college budget hehe. 6" SOA w/ 2" body lift, ford 8.8 rear, 4.56's, Detroits, full custom cage, 35" BFG MTs that I'm trying to wear out so I can get some 37" MTRs, ect ect.... Hopefully I'll be slapping in a Atlas or 4:1 kit in this summer. I have alot of fun with it :)
If you guys wanna come down to Tx in March, theres going to be a CalRocks competition that should be a lot of fun.

Here's a blowup of my avatar, this was the day before we started on my cage hehe and good insperation for it.
http://www.jeepyj.net/images/july4th/Me/airtime2.jpg

You live in thunder bay.. my sister lives there. Are there lots of good rock trails around there? From winnipeg the only rock is about 2 hours north east, otherwise it's just prairies.

Nice truck Codeman. My 87 Samurai consists of the following: 33x13.5-15 Super Swamper LTBs, 15x10 wheels, lock right locker front, welded rear, custom bumpers, YJ 6 pack leaf springs all around in 5.5" SPOA, shackle reversal, custom front dshaft, custom rocker panel guards, removeable doors, 2" exhaust, Gm 100Amp alternator, and other little things. I just removed my dual transfer case setup, and will be replacing it with 6:1 gears so it is road worthy. I'm upgrading the axles to 1984 Toyota pickup truck axles, very strong.

The YJ leaf swap is quite popular for the Samurai's, they flex like crazy espicially in s/r.

Last edited:
Dios67 said:
That sucks man, i have never heard of futureshop they don't exsist around Purdue or around Chicagoland. But if i ever did find one... i sure as H*** won't buy anything from one

Futureshop...i.e. Best Buy. BB bought the Futureshop chain not too long ago if I'm not mistaken

Hello I work there..
and...

1)Yes the cards and systems we sell are way overpriced.
2) Most of the staff have no ****ing clue what they are selling and if you ask them a technical question they will not have an anwer.
3)I hate dealin with the warrenty cause it causes some major headaches, but some times i get a good deal when i buy and part and it *ahem* "breaks", but hey if you can get a deal on a better part meh, why not

Don't think i'll be working there to much longer though.

Its funny cause the store i work in most of the guys have no idea how to put together a pc. and when they get asked a technical system question they just shrug and walk alway.. <note> See me laughing on the ground when that happens </note> :)

OC Noob said:
Futureshop...i.e. Best Buy. BB bought the Futureshop chain not too long ago if I'm not mistaken

Yep. The new Future Shop stores look just like Best Buy . . . I still like Best Buy better, however. Even if the closest one to me is 45 minutes away . . . :)

ya they were bought out months ago.

Just actually moved into a new store a couple o months ago.

I like how even though FS is owned by best buy they still attack the sales style of FS in their ads. "No pressure Shopping environment"

LOL

K.Snail, do you happen to know how Future Shop's 5 year warrantee works on computers? About 1.5 years ago we bought a new computer there, an HP pavilion. At the time I knew nothing about computers, so I didn't realize how much I was getting ripped off. The sales person talked us into purchasing the extended 5 year warrantee (it wasn't cheap). So now we have this computer that is slow, uses poor quality components, cost a lot, and has a 5 year warranty on it.

I started buying parts to upgrade, like new case, motherboard, hard drive, etc. So far I've only installed the new hard drive and a PCI video card, so my warranty shouldn't be voided. After reading this thread, I've had second thoughts about tearing this apart and building a better system using whatever parts I can salvage. My question is, what does it take for the Future Shop to give you a whole new system? It's not like this system is still in perfectly good working order. Since it was bought I've noticed performance decreases. The original hard drive is slower and much noisier than before. A fan (not sure which one) is going, you can hear it making different, irregular sounds, etc. Pretty much everything runs slower than it did when it was purchased (and yes, I do defrag and or format the hard drive often, and reinstall o/s).

So do you know what they'd do if I took it back right now and started complaining about the problems with it? Would they do something immediately or would I have to wait months for them to determine the problems and get it repaired?

What would I have to do to this computer for them to give me a new, better one? I might as well get the most out of that expensive extended warranty before I upgrade :D

They system as far as my understanding goes is that it has to be none functional. and i think that ripping out the MObo for another pretty much is not covered by the warrenty if it fries, seeing as it wasn;t the original part.

The old warrenty program as far as replacements goes "60 days for repairs Max" or else they will replace the system under warrenty. some stuff like vid cards, HDD, CDroms etc, will either be ordered directly from the pc maker, (I guess so that the same part goes back in) but i know if a drive fries and its to small to replace then it gets upgraded.

there should be some clause about "performance" in the warrenty so if you took it in saying it was running *** slow they would give the system an examination and determine the issue and fix it accordingly.

IF you bought the five year warrenty plan you would most likely have to have a total systems failure (i.e Mobo toastes) and if they can't replace it in the amount of time specified in the warrenty then they would have to look at options that are available.

at least thats how it should work, but i bet they would be able to solve the problem in less time then the guarenteed return time

K.Snail said:
They system as far as my understanding goes is that it has to be none functional. and i think that ripping out the MObo for another pretty much is not covered by the warrenty if it fries, seeing as it wasn;t the original part.

The old warrenty program as far as replacements goes "60 days for repairs Max" or else they will replace the system under warrenty. some stuff like vid cards, HDD, CDroms etc, will either be ordered directly from the pc maker, (I guess so that the same part goes back in) but i know if a drive fries and its to small to replace then it gets upgraded.

there should be some clause about "performance" in the warrenty so if you took it in saying it was running *** slow they would give the system an examination and determine the issue and fix it accordingly.

IF you bought the five year warrenty plan you would most likely have to have a total systems failure (i.e Mobo toastes) and if they can't replace it in the amount of time specified in the warrenty then they would have to look at options that are available.

at least thats how it should work, but i bet they would be able to solve the problem in less time then the guarenteed return time

OK I dug up an old customer satisfaction plan check off paper thing from Future shop. To get a replacement the repair would either have to take longer than 60 days or cost more than its worth. I did also get the no lemon guarentee, which states that if the same part fails 3 times they will replace it.
So I guess this will be my course of action:

1) Remove my fast hard drive, and good video card, take it back and complain about performance.
2)Take advantage of the replacement guarantee. I could unplug any fans, put a heater facing the motherboard, and put a blanket over it all, that should mess it up :rolleyes: Hopefully this will ruin the cpu, motherboard, and hard drive.
3)If not #2, I could take advantage of the No lemon guarantee by frying the CPU 3 times and demand they give me a new computer. any other ideas?

Ya....we should all do that.......buy a system.....wait until its outdated, then destroy it......then whine and cry at the manager of some store to replace it......

Sorry guys....thats not what this thread is about.If you want to commit fraud, do it in your own thread, some other place.

This thread is not a 'screw the future shop' thread.It's about how i got screwed, and how i resolved it.

If you want a new, fast computer, then get off your backside, get a job.....and build one.Don't steal it. Or, reformat your old one, and sell it to offset the cost of your new system.

Back