• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buying cards at the Future Shop, my experience

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Exactly

Garrett i understand your points completely through out this entire thread.

and i feel bad that they make you go through all this **** for a vid card when the warrenty should have been taken care of as soon as you came in the store the first time and not had been given all the bull**** they put you through

It was a big hassle, but in the end it worked out. I won't be spending any of my money there.

As a side bonus i made some friends who run a small local store, who really like my money.I'll be spending alot of it there.

Ok. I read the first 5 or so posts on page one then skipped to my reply so I hope this isn't out of touch with how the thread has developed. Here's my two things that you might find interesting (I won't call them my suggestions so I have no liability, sorry) anywho...

1) Call their corporate 800 number and give names of the people at the store you dealt with and put things as severly in your favor when you explain what was done to you. You can get the number by calling a different store and telling them you need to get someone fired from a store, but not theirs. The store you call should be willing to help. I had to do it once before when my landlord bought a oven for me and they refused to deliver it. After the HQ got through with the SOB he didn't talk down to me like dirt, instead he called me up and politely requested the opportunity to have the appliance delivered. I still wish he had gotten fired and I did try my best but apparently he wasnt. But I put the fear of me into him damnit!!!! :mad: :D :D :cool:

2) Take off your pants and run screaming up and down throughout the store, jumping on everything, every appliance, every computer part, everything.

addendum: My girlfriend has horror stories that will take mucho time to detail but suffice it to say that in our region women are apparently second class citizens in Future S***. "Ladies, make sure when you go in that the store personel look at your eyes when they speak to you."

haha your second suggestion will do a few different things

1) have you thrown out of the store and maybe arrested for indiscent exposure, depending on how far you wanna take it.

2) have the staff either laughing their asses off. or gasping trying to find a manager to call up the cops.

3) Scare little children playing on the computers/video game consoles

LOL but either way if you choose to do that then great.

I'll be laughing on the floor if you do :)

Future Shop came to my town for about 8 months, then it went out of business, I wonder why?

LOCATION: Future Shop, Bayers Lake Retail Park, Halifax, Nova Scotia
TIME: Approx 2pm, December 30th, 2002
SCENE: I am at the counter asking a Future Shop salesman about my video card upgrade. He is standing right infront of a glass cabinet filled with various Radeon cards.

SALESMAN: Hi, how can i help?
ME: Can you give me an ETA on the new Radeon 9500 Pro video card?
SALESMAN: Erm... what's a Radeon 9500 Pro?

I think this sums up Future Shop staff pretty well, and yes this IS genuine.

Me behind counter asking my department manager.
when are we gonna get the radeon 9500?
Him: "uhh.. let me contact the inventory manager about that and get back to you."

some of the managers there don't know **** and the selection is weak!

I had a simmilar experience with "them." I bought a r9000pro for $230cdn but it only performed at 50% of its average performance. Brought it back, complained for an hour or so, and got the card inspected for free. Took two weeks until they admitted I was right. Bought a radeon 8500le for $130cdn (on sale). The le performs much better.

My advice is to make a name for yourself in the store. Use your knowledge to counter their attacks and just do a better job at helping people that need help with their PCs (in the store of course).They will be scared of you after that. I got much more respect the next time I walked in.

Whoa what a horror thread. We used to have a FS around here but they went out of business after taking 2k plus $300 for extended warranty for a comp that at the time was a top of the line Compaq 200mhz. Been awhile back I liked the store though you really needed to know who to talk to about tech stuff.

Yeah I hate hearing stories like this. I mean really why does a guy like Paul care unless the store leverages and trains him to act this way.Its similar ethics to insurance companies arguing claims with cancer victims so long that the patient dies.It should be viewed like racial stereotyping.Its illegal and unconstituional. Just cause he's black doesn't mean he has will or is going to committ a crime.So should it be that just cause your returning a product you should not be treated as though you are commititng fraud or be fined by it(restocking thats bull).Its a way to make money.Any store selling you a maxtor hardrive with 3 year warranty sold after oct.31/2002 is lying to you. Or maybe they will but if they are? aren't they themselves putting the possibility of a loss. The manufactures warranity is 1 year. After that the dead product is worthless if the honor the return its out of there pocket. Its here where things get grey. A company makes a claim like this knowing full well 1) We will do whatever we can to not honor this or 2) We will average out all returns with a restocking fee so as to account for our decision to over extend a warranity we can't afford to cover. Don't blame restocking fees on fraud its not. Restocking fee thats rust proofing just asked Putty what that really is lol. Its to make money by boosting there advertising claims and additional profit from all waranties still valid by manufacture. Business commit more fraud than is committed against them. Heres one for all who lease should know. Some of these lease agents slip a life isurance policy(can you say commission,I knew you could) in the many pages you are signing that in the end costs you 1000-1500 bucks so check your contracts again,some of these guys will slip it out and keep it in there desk till you try to break it and out it comes. Also I wonder how many families were even aware of this that could have made a claim but haven't simply cause they didn't know? So who benifits?

Last edited:
Back