• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buying Dual Proc advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OKCFUNKY

I was plannin to upgrade to a A7M266-D and dual XP1600s. I have 2 AX7 coolers for future overclocking, but are XP1600s laser cut in the L5 bridge area? I heard that one of those bridges allows dual proc usage. Since they started laser cutting certain areas, will I be able to buy them(their oem chips) and not fill them in for use?

I've got two of those boards and have XP 1600s in them. None of mine were cut but I can't speak for processors manufactured from here on out.

I would go out on a limb and say you're probably fairly safe from getting a 1600 that's been cut. Easy to fix that problem though.

First of all, Welcome to the forums.

That being said. I just purchased another XP1600+ to compliment the one I already had for a new dual system I was building. The new CPU is AGOIO stepping and as has been reported lately this CPU did have the additional L5 bridge cut, my original CPU does not have it cut.

Once installed on my Tyan 2460 motherboard the BIOS recognized both CPU's but would stall during POST. The boot toime was approaching 4 min. I did disable ECC check in the BIOS which helps speed up the POST but to no avail.

I removed the CPU and simply joined the third bridge as the original one was. I used rear window defogger repair fluid, I did not fill the pit first. This proccess is much easier than unlocking the L1 bridges on these CPU's, very similar to unlocking the original T-BIRDS.

I reinstalled the CPU and it's worked like a charm since.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck!

Here's a shot of both CPU's compare the L5 bridges;

Back