• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buying new Proc and need to pick a MB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krieger

Hey guys,
I'm upgrading as my current system is falling behind the curve again. I'm getting a AMD 1700+ from newegg. I just need to figure out a motherboard to go with it. Cost is a huge factor as I'm getting married next year and need to sock away as much cash as possible. But I'd like it to be able to handle faster processors as I my go upgrade shopping after the wedding :D. At anyrate I'm only going to be using PC2100 memory(It's on sale at newegg), so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also if possible a link on newegg's site would help. Thanks again

Krieger

N

nerdlogic

Are you planning to overclock? If so, now much do you want to get out of it? I'm going to newegg's site right now to link you to some motherboards, but look for one with an nForce2 Chipset.

Also do you want onboard video?

OP
K

Krieger

I do overclock a little... my current PIII 700 is at 886(I've had it close to 1.0ghz, my apartment's a littel too hot for it though). I'm looking for something that will last me a while, while not killing my pocket.

OP
K

Krieger

Ben thanks, I've been trying to figure out what the epox board was... this is what I have so far... comments?

Speeze FalconRock CPU Fan Model 5F286B for AMD/Intel Socket A/370 - RETAIL

Memory (System Memory)
►On Sale!
CRUCIAL MICRON 256MB 32x64 PC 2100 DDR RAM - OEM 184-Pin,

Motherboards - AMD
►On Sale! Epox Motherboard for AMD Athlon/Athlon XP/Duron Processors, Model# EP-8RDA+

Processors
Type: 1700 XP Thoroughbred

*Edit This takes me to $204 including shipping. Which is a little more than I was figuring to spend.

N

nerdlogic

Hmmm...
That's actually the best price I've seen for those three items. If you're not planning to OC that much, you can always go with a VIA KT400 Chipset on a good board. How about a GigaByte for $75?

The PC2700 will give you a better overclock for sure...it's only an extra $8 for it.

Last edited:

Ben721

Official X-Hour Man
Get Kingston PC2700ram but stick with the NForce 2 board, you'll like it. :D

N

nerdlogic

I agree with Ben. It is the best value for what you are getting and it will last you a good while. You can go with the GigaByte board and PC2100 RAM if you REALLY are on a budget, but I think the 8RDA+ and the PC2700 will last you a good number of years and give you a better value for performance in the long run.