• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buzzing noise starts after closing games on Asus Strix 980.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sew333

Hello. My graphic card is Asus Strix 980 and Psu Corsair 750RM. But i have a problem. I can play 24 hours without buzzing noise. Everything is fine when i am playing. But when i close game and then ( on idle ) after couple of seconds i can hear a buzzing noise coming from i think GPU. When fan slowly goes from RPM 50% to 0% and on 0% i can hear buzzing noise. Noise goes away after 1-2 second.Sorry for my bad english. Its something bad with card then? Generally after I've played a game it seems to start making noise, so as soon as I've shut down the game the noise starts. Noise goes away after 1-2 second. Simply when I go back to windows and the card fans decrease to 0% buzzing noise starts and after 1-2 seconds disappears completely.

Let me be absolutely clear. The noise does NOT occur while I am playing.

Could it be a noise produced by the heat pipes cooling down? Other ideas?

Obviously the noise is not much of a problem, but I am worried that it could be the telling sign of problems to come (the computer, however, has so far worked very well).
I am thankful to every soul who would help me with this little puzzle.

What can it be?

Last edited:
Anyone to help?

I have noticed a buzzing noise coming from what I think is my Asus Strix 980 as the noise has only become apparent since installing it.

It always happens after I have been playing games and the card is cooling down.

It only usually lasts 2-3 seconds. It almost sounds like a buzzing noise ( wasp noise bzzzzzzzz ).
And it's never under load. It just buzzing noise after card its been used heavily.

Any ideas what it is?

Can you explain me why it's never under load? It always happens after I have been playing games , it happen on windows when card cool down.

Because the GPU is coming off of load.
Coil whine happenes (sometimes) in super-high FPS settings.

Going from game load, suddenly to desktop, and the GPU doesn't clock down quite as instantly.
Therefore, you get a second or two of coil whine.

When buzzing starts GPUZ showing idle clocks ( 135 core ). So clocks are down. Even that i have buzzing noise for 2 seconds. Any ideas?

Again, it's just coil whine. It's only happening for a second or two.
Just use the computer, it's fine.

I have a question to be sure if it is really coil whine. Mine noise dont immediately ceases. Its slowly dissapear ( like air from baloon ). It can be coil whine too or not?

Google coil whine gtx 970, gtx 980 and you'll see a million posts about it and all the weird noises people are describing it as. As already mentioned it doesn't affect anything and the card is fine. Welcome to the Nvidia 9 series owners club ;)

i ahve the same card i have never heard such a thing but then again the rest of my pc is so loud that you could not hear it over the noise the fans make maybe someday i will have to try and see

Back