• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bye Bye Northies and 478

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think it will be a while before they phase out the 478 chips completely. Hell I can still go online and buy 370 chips and slot 1 chips. I don't think intel is doing this so they can get rid of overclockers. That's rediculous. First of all, we aren't as big of a force as some would like to beleive. OC'ers probably don't even account but for 1% of Intels overall customers. Not only that, but Intel "HAS" to have the overhead in their chips in order to assure the customer of complete stability and longevity of their investment. Would you buy a processor that was near or right at it's max, and might possibly be unstable when you just dropped a few hundred bucks on it? Another thing is, I don't know how many people out there burn out a chip and try and send it back to intel, but I know that I don't, and I doubt many of you guys do either. Intel isn't taking any loss on burned out oc'd chips, for several reasons. Intel knows what a burned chip looks like. They know the signs. Do I think that Intel ignores the fact that there are overclockers? No. I think they are making a small attempt to try and reduce the amount of which someone can overclock their chips. And it seems that the board manufacturers are countering this without much trouble. I think there will be a day when overclocking simply ceases to exist. Mainly because I think that we'll be getting up to insane speeds in the near future, and squeezing out a few extra mhz won't give any noticable benefit vs the risk. I also think that if Intel moves to a multi stack processor platform that the cpu's will have to work in a tightly synched environment, and overclocking just won't be an acceptable deviation for the end user. But things just don't come and go overnight. If we do see 478 socket disapear off the market soon, then it will mean that Intel had planned this a long time ago, and that something new is coming fast. And I don't mean their lame attempt at getting people interested in prescotts by reintroducing them. I can't tell you how many people I know that think that Prescotts just came into existence with the induction for LGA 775. I get this all the time, "Hey man, did you hear about Intels new processors? I think it's called Prescott or something. I hear their awesome". And I just smile. One last thing. Notice how all Asus boards have in some way represented the cpu that it was designed for? I.E. P4B533, P4P800, P4C800? Don't you think it's interesting that the new one's are called P5 boards? I certainly do. ;)

I don't see anything about socket 478 going away. I saw 2.6 and 2.4 ghz CPUs going away, but not the socket.

Can someone cut and paste it form me, I'm a little slow sometimes:)

Oh.

Well then, it will be a while considering they don't have an established socket to move to and there are still pleanty of 478 chips being made.

Man, this is never good, I just bought a really expensive 478 mother board... hehe, well, I wont be making a switch for a while now.

I cant afford to keep up w/ tech, hehe

Man... I noticed this awhile ago but thought somebody else would carry it but I guess not. I have a 2.6GHZ northwood oced to 3.43ghz. This is my first performance processor and I will always LOVE the northwoods. Best processor ever owned. I wish Intel would give them another chance. WHY WHY WHY! :(. I will always have my northwood, TILL I DIE!

Hmm makes me wonder what will be available come christmas time...I've been planning on building my wife a new PC around then, was more or less planning on another northwood but I guess I'll just have to wait and see. Either that or do some major cooling with a prescott :)

Back