• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bye Bye Voodoo!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Modifying voodoo 5

Hey guys.........I'm going to attempt to put new heatsinks and fans on my voodoo 5 5500.........Better ones.......Where's a good store online where i can buy small heatsinks and a good GPU heatsink and fan? thx guys.......

don't bother with the heatsinks just ebay it now and buy a ti4200! svcompucycle has them if you insist.

rofl, good god, what are ya peole talking here? Voodoo has a poor T&L(if it even has one) engine and poor memory bandwith, get that MX if you can... in 32bit color even geforce1 can beat it, and there were loads of reviews and comparisons...

+ Almost every game has some problems with voodoo cards so it's a waste...

Whoever is suggesting that he go out and buy a new card just to replace a Voodoo for all of 2 months is absolutely insane. Why would anyone go out and spend money to hold them over for two months? Not only could he spend his money on a better card or on modifying his computer, but it's like throwing away his money. At most, he should spend it on moding his Voodoo. I did that and I feel so stupid. I was putting along on built in graphics in the SiS530 chipset and they really bit. Went out and bought a 32MB TNT2 card from PNY for 80 bucks at the time. But that wouldn't work in my motherboard because it didn't like PCI video cards and had no AGP slot. I ended up buying a new computer three months later and got a Radeon8500 128MB (non LE). I wish I hadn't wasted my money. I didn't know I was going to buy a new computer at the time, but I could have better utilized that money. It's not worth spending the money on a new card like the MX. Just wait.

Z

Anaxagoras1986 said:

A v2? I thought maybe the v3 might compete, but I didnt think the v2 would beat it. Guess ye learn something everyday! How does a v2 beat it though? The v2 was aka bansheee wasnt it?

i think he meant Geforce2 lol....and i agree with zachj....why would he pay to get a new video card for a 20% performance increase, which he is only using for another 2 months?

I third this. It is a complete waste of money.
I also had a system that has an SIS530 video in it. It had a K6-2 400 with 192mb PC100, and a 30.0GB HD (same as im running right now). I upgraded my SIS thing to a generic TNT2 32mb M64. It made wonders of difference in my games like HL, and gunman, and such. I dont regret getting the card though b/c i kept that sytem until last year when I got this one for christmas. But now this one isnt cutting it..... Operation Radeon 9500PRO upgrade!

Ohh, right, well he could then wait abit more and buy nv30 instead of geforce4ti4600 OR he could wait another half a year for r350 or nv35, what do you think?

Some of you really sound like the hw is more important then the actual use of it ie gaming and there are pleny of new games coming out to enjoy, but nah lets waaaiiit and get the best possible hw(for 2 months) and the cycle goes on again... meh

Thx for all your advice guys........I'm going to stick with the voodoo 5 5500 for a little while and overclock the beast........It shouldn't cost me much money....right?? I just need to find a place online where i can get a GPU fan and heatsink that will fit on my voodoo 5 nicely.......any ideas guys.......And I need some heatsinks........And what program should i use??? the one that comes with 3dfx tools is crap i think.......it lowered my 3dmark score instead of helping it.......Should I use Powerstrip......I used it before and I lke it........

The cheapest thing you can do is to chop an old heat sink to fit the card and perhaps make some small RAMsinks. You could probably drill holes in the heat sink and attatch any fan you've got. That's the way I'd go if I could find a cutting tool. Cheap, ugly, fun, and helps waste some of that two months not thinking about the new card. And PowerStrip is a great tool. I've got it, but I'm too afraid of killing my card to use it. I'm trying to save money right now for my college laptop, so buying a new video card is not high on my priorities list.

Z

Thx man

Thanks man.......I dont have any heatsinks laying around or fans.......Well i have one fan......But it's a case fan......Kinda too big for a video card fan....lol.....Do you know if radio shack or any online stores that might sell heatsinks and fans........thx

ReDeeMeR said:
Ohh, right, well he could then wait abit more and buy nv30 instead of geforce4ti4600 OR he could wait another half a year for r350 or nv35, what do you think?

Some of you really sound like the hw is more important then the actual use of it ie gaming and there are pleny of new games coming out to enjoy, but nah lets waaaiiit and get the best possible hw(for 2 months) and the cycle goes on again... meh

ive talked to him, and all his current games run fine....might as well wait a month and get something that can play new games that are coming out at high res and settings right?

also Mad Butter see if you can somehow mount the fan over the card, and i know Radio Shack has P1 heatsinks, but i recall they cost a lot like 15$ a peice lol

Yea. Try to use that case fan over the graphics card. You don't have to mount it to the card, just move air over teh card. A case fan moves a whole lot more air than does a small GPU fan. If you can do that, I'd bet you'd get more of an overclock than without it, so at least try it. Just try not to muck up your case trying to do it, because it isn't worth a busted case just for two months, (that is if you like your case . . .)

Z

why don't do a thing switch to voodoo 1 with a 2mb accelerator from Trident or someone and run it for a day or two, trust me you will have more respect for that "crap" voodoo5 of yours, i used v5 for about a year and it was a very good card i switched it for gf2 ultra later on

right now wasting money on something like gf2 would be totally insane IMO, in about two months time you will be getting a card which will out class your old card in every manner, you will definately sell out the card and it will go with depreciated price.. so lets assume you get a gf2 for $50 after two months sell it for $30 .. worth it? no way

I've been looking everywhere online........where can i buy GPU heatsinks, ram coolers, and artic silver???

Check the links part of the forums. I'm sure there are plenty of places listed there. I don't have time to go look for a place right now, but I promise there are a multitude of places. Try Best Byte or Thermal Masters. I bought one thing each from those two companies and had no problems. Your results may vary. I don't know what they carry, but take a look.

Z

Hey!!

Hey guys.........I'm now ready to start modifying my voodoo 5........The only problem is.....I researched and looked at my voodoo and found that the heatsinks are glued on........Is there anyway of getting that glue off without damaging the GPU's??? And does anybody know of any place that sells good quality GPU heatsinks.......Just by themselves.......I got everything else.......I just need new heatsinks.......Thanks for your help everyone.

I think the question is: What games do you play or would like to play?

I dropped the V5 long, long ago. When I couldn't even play Max Payne I decided it was time to ditch it. The driver situation for the V5 is horrid.

However, like the others, I wouldn't recommend a GF2. Simply because current and future games will not look their best (or even close to their best.) If I were you I'd save my pennies until I could get a second hand GF4 Ti4200 or Radeon 9500. A GF3 Ti200-500 or Radeon 8500 would also be something to consider if you can find one for dirt cheap.

Is Arctic Silver Epoxy better or is Arctic Alumina Epoxy........What's the difference........The brand?

I don't mean to come off as rude, but I don't see the value in modifying any video card, much less a V5. That's like overclocking a Pentium 90.

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

If you want to embark on modding the V5 for the simple satisfaction of the modding process I can respect that. The simple reality though is that putting another dime into the V5 is pretty much pointless. Save your time. Save your cash. Get a new video card when you can.

funnyperson1 said:
one of the reasons that 3dfx went down was because the V5 got spanked fps wise against GTS.....though GTS cant hold a candle to the to the IQ on the V5 and the AA.....

The reason 3DFX went down the tubes had nothing to do with the performance of the cards. It went down due to poor marketing decisions on the COE's part. Not letting the chips go OEM like they had done in the past. By the time they finally gave in and let them go OEM, it was too late. While the GTS will beat the 5000 in a few things like 3DMark, and anything using D3D, the 5000 was optimised for OpenGL games like QuakeII & QuakeIII. In OpenGL, the 5000 kicks the snot out of the GTS.

Back