• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bypassing Firewalls

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Panthrjd

Is there some way to bypass the firewall at my college? It has apparently closed some ports that I need open for the really important things (tcp/ip games, file transfers, etc.). I've asked the admins about it but they have yet to do anything about it. So, I was wondering if there was a way to bypass it so I don't have to beat some network admins senseless ;). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Roboman101

at my school it seems that if i flood the firewall with packets of data from pings, i can sometimes open what seems to be a "pressure relief valve" and by pass this fire wall

this probably doesn't help you

ThePerfectCore

Red Raccoon Dojo
Hey, you posted. :)

Like I said before, you'll probably have to consult with the admin and see if he/she will open ports for AoK and ICQ. I had one such situation where one of my ICQ contacts couldn't transfer files, and they couldn't open any ports to do so.

They ended up setting up an FTP server for us to transfer files back and forth through port 21. If ICQ transfers are only one way, you could also set up an HTTP server with Apache, and just let people download directly from you through port 80. Ports 21 and 80 should be open (especially 80) unless the admin is an absolute paranoid nutbag.

Disputant

Definitely consult with one of the admins. The school I work at restricts ports, but they also doa lot of packet sniffing and port monitoring on the network to keep tabs on what the students are trying to do. (this includes all the pron sites, so I am told)

There are actually policies and reprimands in place that not too many students know about. But I wouldn't want to be on their list when they decide to crack down.

I have done jobs at schools though were the admin was a total control freak and ruled his network like it was some sort of dictatorship. Good luck.

wildbilly2k

Disputant said:
I have done jobs at schools though were the admin was a total control freak and ruled his network like it was some sort of dictatorship.

Hmm sounds just a little bit like my school:(