• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

C1 Stepping

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

arklab

I'll try to give you a quick answer, but keep looking for more specific info. on this.

When a chip maker (Intel or AMD) makes a "small" change or upgrade to a given chip design, they usually introduce (name) it with a new "steping" and also a new sSpec.

Lets look at the Pentium 4 1.8A CPU's;

Those with sSpecs of SL62R, SL62P, SL63X, SL66Q, SL68Q all have a core stepping of B0, a default core voltage of 1.5v, and of 154 posts in the CPU database an Average overclocked speed of 2551 Mhz (using everything from stock Intel heatsink-fan to active refrigeration.
The max OC speed is 3113.

The just sighted SL6LA (by RiStaR plucked from a new Dell - see his posts on this forum) has the new core stepping of C1, and a default core voltage of 1.54v (which is true of all C1's).

So what's the big deal?
With only minor BIOS tweeks and air cooling he is getting 3500 stable! :burn:

Mind, these are ALL just 1.8A P4's, the cheepest CPU's Intel currently offers.

Also, the new 3.06G P4 with HyperThreading tech is also a C1!!!
As you might guess, everyone is hoping that lesser speed C1's might also be able to use HT. :eek:
THIS HAS NOT YET BEEN SHOWN, AND MAY NEVER BE DONE.

But we can all hope .... (and drool) :cool:

ozzie_no_good

So only the P4 with this ------>SL6LA <---------- number are C1 steppings ????

Can a P4 on 400Mhz have an C1 stepping if so its got to have the same number ???

Just asking going to buy a new one so I will know where I got to look for

Greetz and thnx ozzie

batboy

Senior Moment
If the default voltage is 1.525v, then it's a C1 stepping. The B0 stepping is 1.5v. All 2.5, 2.6, 2.66, 2.8, and 3.06 CPUs will be C1 stepping. The rest might be B0 or C1.

Clockers

Registered
I have a sl6d8 code but it's not listed on the Intel website. Is this a C1 cpu?

Version #: C16847-001 Pack Date: 08/28/2002