• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cable Modem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trikotret

Hey All,
Is there a way to find out if ur cable modem is going bad. I keep on loosing connections when I'm playing games. I never had any problems before. I also noticed that my ping went up in games. I have cable comcast.

Mike

su root

Senior Member, --, I teach people how to read your
Overheating is a big cause of connection dropping. Also make sure you didn't wrap the excess 50 feet of coax cable around an AC generator or something ;)

su root

trikotret said:
Overheating of what?? The computer?
Cable modem. Don't pile clothes or stuff on top of it, or cover the vent holes. Mine had holes on the top, I turned it upside down by accident, and it started doing that

Chris

xtrmeocr said:
i'v never seen a cable modem overheat. which modem do you have?

I think its just a general thing with electrical things, as they get too hot they start to cause errors and not work as efficiently as they should do. Thats why there are vent holes to let the heat escape, if they are covered up the modem will get hot and not function properly.

su root

xtrmeocr said:
i'v never seen a cable modem overheat. which modem do you have?
It's a big blue one.. TDS or something. It eventually died (unrelated to this incident), and it was replaced with a Samsung one.

xtrmeocr

oops i shoulda seperated those 2 things better. i really wanted to know what modem the original poster had :)

DDR-PIII

Disabled
su root said:

It's a big blue one.. TDS or something. It eventually died (unrelated to this incident), and it was replaced with a Samsung one.

WAS it a .... TERAYON ? ive got one made by them its big, blue and it got hot "when i used it"

xtrmeocr

that could be a problem in it self, first though. do you know how to get to the modems internal diagnostics page? if you could do that and post your numbers for downstream power, upstream power, and signal to noise ratio that would help a lot.

try typing in 192.168.100.1 in internet explorer that might be it.

OP
T

trikotret

Downstream Status

Downstream Lock: Locked
Downstream Frequency: 705.0000 MHz
Downstream Modulation: 64 QAM
Downstream Interleave Depth: 32,4,32
Downstream Receive Power Level: -17 dB

Upstream Status

Upstream Channel ID: 4
Upstream Frequency: 17.9040 MHz
Upstream Modulation: QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate: 2560 ksym/sec
Upstream Transmit Power Level: 49 dB

I have no idea what I'm doing but I hope this helps :D

Mike

xtrmeocr

this is most likey your problem. how is your cable setup? is the modem coming off the first split from the drop(where the main line enters your house) if you have any splitters inbetween the main line and the modem, check the connections, replace them if they look old and try to get the modem off the first split if it is not. your downstream power needs to be between -15 and +15, 0 being the best.

your upstream power looks ok. is there anywhere on the page that tells you your signal to noise ratio(SNR) or perhaps carrier to noise ratio?

OP
T

trikotret

xtrmeocr said:

this is most likey your problem. how is your cable setup? is the modem coming off the first split from the drop(where the main line enters your house) if you have any splitters inbetween the main line and the modem, check the connections, replace them if they look old and try to get the modem off the first split if it is not. your downstream power needs to be between -15 and +15, 0 being the best.

your upstream power looks ok. is there anywhere on the page that tells you your signal to noise ratio(SNR) or perhaps carrier to noise ratio?

Wow...I'm very impressed. I couldn't find anything about the SNR. Anyway my cable company detected that I have a problem and they're gonna send a techician out. Do you think maybe the modem is going bad?? I started having these problems within the last 23 weeks. Thanks for all your help.

MIke

Last edited:

xtrmeocr

well, it could be possible as 3com cable modems are really the bottom of the barrel but with that low of a downstream level its probably bad splitter or connection.

OP
T

trikotret

xtrmeocr said:
well, it could be possible as 3com cable modems are really the bottom of the barrel but with that low of a downstream level its probably bad splitter or connection.

Actually you're right. When I called the cable company again to find out what they put down on the work order, he told me that it was wiring issues from outside. So it might be the slitter. Does it make a difference if I in speedwise if I upgrade my modem to a modem which runs at 100mbps instead of 10mbps?? Thanks for ur help.

Mike

OP
T

trikotret

I took off the splitter from inside my of my house and plugged in the modem directly to the cable and these are my results:

Downstream Status
Downstream Lock: Locked
Downstream Frequency: 705.0000 MHz
Downstream Modulation: 64 QAM
Downstream Interleave Depth: 32,4,32
Downstream Receive Power Level: -14 dB

Upstream Status
Upstream Channel ID: 4
Upstream Frequency: 17.9040 MHz
Upstream Modulation: QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate: 2560 ksym/sec
Upstream Transmit Power Level: 46 dB

I think the splitter is bad...:D

Mike

xtrmeocr

no it looks like that splitter is ok, a 2 or 3 way spilliter will generaly take away 3.5db from your signal(should say so right on th splitter). if you look befor you had -17 take away 3 from the splitter and now your down to -14. if your geting -14 where the cable comes into your home then its a problem with either the the drop or an amp needs tweaking/replacemnt. comcast will need to take care of those for you.