• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cable Modem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
xtrmeocr said:
no it looks like that splitter is ok, a 2 or 3 way spilliter will generaly take away 3.5db from your signal(should say so right on th splitter). if you look befor you had -17 take away 3 from the splitter and now your down to -14. if your geting -14 where the cable comes into your home then its a problem with either the the drop or an amp needs tweaking/replacemnt. comcast will need to take care of those for you.

Oki doki.... I really appreciate all your help...........:D

Mike

xtrmeocr said:
no it looks like that splitter is ok, a 2 or 3 way spilliter will generaly take away 3.5db from your signal(should say so right on th splitter). if you look befor you had -17 take away 3 from the splitter and now your down to -14. if your geting -14 where the cable comes into your home then its a problem with either the the drop or an amp needs tweaking/replacemnt. comcast will need to take care of those for you.

How pathetic the technician came down and said that the splitter on the tap was loose so he tightened it....:mad: Nothing really changed. I still get random connection lose.

Mike

:( if your signals are still the same you'll have to call and get another tech visit, really nothing you can do :(

xtrmeocr said:
:( if your signals are still the same you'll have to call and get another tech visit, really nothing you can do :(

I called them up and they said that I'm getting good signal readings and if they send a tech again, they'll charge me. WHATEVER!!! The downstream level is at -16db now.
Mike

-16db is still technicaly out of spec. i'd trade in that 3com for a new sb4200.(they should do that for free, i know my ISP does) like i said befor the 3coms are noted as problematic modems so geting it exchanged should be easy.

also i'd just like to add. signal levels change with the temperature, the hotter it gets out the weaker the signal gets. i dont know what time of day you took that -16db reading at but if it was at night and its cooler out the signal will look better then in the day time. so if you wana try and trick comcast, check your signals when its really hot out during the day and call then. :)

If it was me, I would unscrew the connection again to weaken the signal, and get them to send a tech. At this point it is simple laziness, your connection is acceptable according to them, the last time they sent out a tech it was an exorbant waste of time and money, and they don't want to do that again.

Make sure they actually test out the connection before they leave and get it working decently.

xtrmeocr said:
-16db is still technicaly out of spec. i'd trade in that 3com for a new sb4200.(they should do that for free, i know my ISP does) like i said befor the 3coms are noted as problematic modems so geting it exchanged should be easy.

I replaced the modem with a new called Linksys. Here's the new info.m

Downstream Channel

Lock Status Locked Modulation QAM64
Channel ID 1 Symbol rate 5056941 sym/sec
Downstream Frequency 705000000 Hz Max Bit Rate 1800000 bps
Downstream Power -19.25 dBmV
SNR 31 dB

Upstream Channel

Lock Status Locked Modulation QPSK
Channel ID 4 Symbol rate 2560 ksym/sec
Upstream Frequency 17904000 Hz Max Bit Rate 256000 bps
Upstream Power 50.00 dBmV

i havent heard good thing about the linksys modem. did u buy it? comcast shoulda givin you a new motorola if you asked. but anyway are you still geting disconnects? your downstream is back up to almost -20.

xtrmeocr said:
i havent heard good thing about the linksys modem. did u buy it? comcast shoulda givin you a new motorola if you asked. but anyway are you still geting disconnects? your downstream is back up to almost -20. [/QUOTE

I bought it for $59.00 from best buy. It was an open box and has a $50.00 mail in rebate. So basically I got it for $9.00:D Actually I'm not getting disconnects although the downstream is high :( .
Comcast wouldn't swap it for me. They had to send a tech out to see if the modem is bad. LAst time the tech showed up, he said the modem is fine. I'm gonna test this new modem out this week and see if I get any disconnects.

Mike

Back