• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cable question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spec_Ops2087

Do you think that I will see a significate(SP?) speed increase if I add a 5mb fiber optic cable going to my cable modem to the switch that the ISP has....also is it possiable to connect your cable modem to one of the backbones of the ISP? Would that cost a LOT or a lil more? Thanx

Spec

BTW, my ISP is Comcast and I'm in Freehold, NJ

Forgot to say...what if I added a 10/100/1000 NIC card....I have a linksys router connected to my cable modem and I'm trying to increase my speeds VERY much for running a CS server ;) thanx again!

Spec

Nope. Not going to make a difference. Chances are your cable access speeds are capped. And they are capped in one of two places. The modem, or the router on their end.

You can run all the fiber that you want, but your speeds arent going to increase until they adjust one of the above.

Kingslayer said:
Nope. Not going to make a difference. Chances are your cable access speeds are capped. And they are capped in one of two places. The modem, or the router on their end.

You can run all the fiber that you want, but your speeds arent going to increase until they adjust one of the above.

adding fiber cable directly into the isp backbone? hhmmm....i like that idea!! (IF u could ever tap <hack> into it???!!!!......> :D

oh, it's Comcast huh? forget it! they capped ALL their users' bandwidth!! max out @ 'bout 1MB!! :mad:

Well actually I max out my download speed at 1.5mb/s but my upload is f*cking 128 kb/s...I'm going to try to pay them a little more money to increase that 128kb/s to maybe 256 or 512....it could happen..

Spec

From the cable companies router the speed is 27Mbps until it reaches your neighborhood node which allocates your bandwidth. From your node all bandwidth is shared and you will experience wide disparities in speed over time. Cable providers do not appreciate any interference with their services, and since you do not have dedicated bandwidth neither will your neighbors. Cable democratizes broadband, elitists use T3. Thank God for those guys who file share on their bosses T lines.

Back