• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cable router needed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dillon5

I have 5 computers networked together. I am getting cable today. I assume I need to hook a router between the network box and cable modem and that a 4 port router will work.

If I am wrong , do I need a router with at least 5 ports for all of the computers to share the cable connection?
Or do I need a different type of cable modem, I've seen them with multiple connections.

By the way I am using Win98 if that makes a difference.

Thanks for any input and any suggestions on a good cheap router.

:)

Kingslayer

If you already have a hub, which is assume you do with a 5 computer network, you can put the router between the cable modem and the hub and it will work just fine. Switches are better, but if you already have the hub, use it.

Yes you are going to need a router. You dont HAVE to have one, but they make things alot easier and provide a little more sercurity.

If you want to get a router with a multiport switch built in, keep in mind that a 5 port hub is a common misconception (and as far as I'm concerned, false advertising) because one of the ports is more than likely an uplink port that is shared with one of the other ports. And only one of the shared ports can be used.

flyingember

Registered
get a linksys router. it'll have 1 port to come from the modem, and 5 ports, 1 of which is shared to a hub/switch. you also need not ever mess with ip addresses that way (some services only provide 1 ip too, you pay extra for #2+)

a routers built in switch is much better than any old hub will be because it manages each network connection instead of broadcasting the same to everyone.

Mi6

if your going for a router i would recomend the Linksys BEFRS41 Cable/DSl 4* port router its a bit more expensive since you get cable and dsl but its worth it since never know when your gona trade.

* there is actualy 5 ports the 5th is for the hub so you can plug up two 255-256 ( dont remember ) computers.

i have it works great no real problem, also remember to upgrade the firmware! !!

-M|6

OP
D

dillon5

Linksys !!!!
I just spent 8 hours of my life trying to get that damn thing to work. Most of the time was spent talking to customer support.
Finally got fed up and drove across town again and exchanged it.

Well this one set up almost instantly !! Man, computers can try you sometimes.

I now know more about networking than anyone I talked to @ LINKSYS !

You are right , when they work , they are easy to set up.