• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cable setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xtrmeocr

no, from a NIC to a switch you need a straight cable not a crossover, also i'm not sure what host and client are?

Perre

Most of the "good" switches recognices what kind of cable you're using. So in that case it doesn't matter of you're using a crosser over or a straight cable.

Also if you don't have that kind of switch there's usually some kind of uplink and if that's the case this port should be able to handle a crossover cable.

FunkDaMonkMan

no... you've got it set up right.

Connect the modem to the WAN port on the router.

Connect all computers to the ports labeled 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. on the router.

Enable DHCP and ur set!

OP
mrm1957

mrm1957

OK so I don't need a crossover cable or hub/switch. All I really have to do is just hook in the router and configure the 2nd PC's settings to match the first from the above stickies ?

PAWO

Yep, just plug both PC's into the router with normal (straight) cat5 cable, and Set them to "DHCP" for obtaining an IP address automatically and everything should be working.

OP
mrm1957

mrm1957

Finally found the trouble, the NIC in the 2nd PC is bad. When I checked the light on the card it is not lit and gives me the eror that a network cable is not plugged in. Even though it says the device is working. Thanks for all the help from everyone.