• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 lockups

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tech Tweaker

I've noticed that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 always seems to crash/lock up when I try to play with a dual-gpu card running in SLI. Tried to play it three or four times yesterday and it caused the PC to lock up and black screen every time I loaded into a match.

It will run flawlessly though with my GTX 460, GTX 260, 8800 GTX, and 9800GTX+ cards, as long as I don't run SLI. I have multiple GTX 260 cards, but I haven't tried to run the game with them in the system and in SLI. My board has an Intel G33M chipset, so no native support for SLI without hacked drivers.

Is this normal behavior for this game or is there something wrong with my PC or graphics card?

I did a couple runs of 3DMark06 and it completed them just fine without any artifacts or locking up. Though it did lock up when I tried to run Aquamark3.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I wasn't sure whether it belonged in the games section or the graphics card section.

Only resolution I could play MW2 multiplayer at with out it crashing is 1024x768 :shrug: weird but that the only way i can play multiplayer you can try that resolution and see if it helps

I'm running dual 5870s in x-fire (dual video card mode) no problems max rez.

what is your setup

Main Rig:
Case: Cooler Master 690 II Advanced
Power Supply: Corsair HX750W
Cooling: Corsair H100i
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 SLACR @3.1GHz
RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR2-1066@1035MHz
Video: nVidia GTX295 in SLI mode
HDD: Western Digital 320GB Caviar SataII

Only resolution I could play MW2 multiplayer at with out it crashing is 1024x768 :shrug: weird but that the only way i can play multiplayer you can try that resolution and see if it helps
I tried every resolution it offered, including 800x600. I had the same problem with all of them.

But, it runs flawlessly at 1920x1080 (1080p) with my other cards.

After having troubles with the GTX 295 last night I pulled the card and put my GTX 460 back in. Then I played online multiplayer for over an hour without any problems, whereas the GTX 295 was crashing within a minute or two of starting a match.

Back