• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Calling all OC Seti Member!!!! I need your Times!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cuper

Calling all OC Seti Members!!!! I need your Times!!!

First I want to scold you guys for getting me addicted to this stuff!!!!:mad: HeHe!!! :D

Now over the last several months I have been asking questions in reference to Seti times with various Cpu's and the such. Something popped into my head! I should go back and search the forums for seti times with different cpus to find the answer. Problem is this is very time consuming!!! I was thinking of collecting all of this info and trying to put together a page that we can all reference if someone has questions about what times they should be seeing with their specific setup. I think it would be nice to be able to see approx. what times you should be getting with a specific setup before you buy or trade for the parts.

I still plan on searching the forums for times but would like for help from you guys as per your times. Here is what I would like. (all sugestions that you can think of will be apprec.)

1) Cpu info - stock speed, oc'd speed, and chip (cele,t-bird,xp,P4,etc.)

2) Memory type - pc100,133,150 etc., ddr, rambus, etc.

3) Which version you run. Driver/Screensaver/Linux/Etc....

4) Please use a unit with a AR of .4 - .45 or so? I think everyone agrees that these are "benchmarks" that we use.

5) Notebook/Desktop

6) FSB and your Memory Speed

7) ? let me know what else I should ask for?

I know that we have a Benchmark page but if you look at it (I have submitted to it) most of the chips are XP's or AMD's. Very little Pentium info.

PLEASE DO NOT POST YOUR TIMES ON THIS THREAD..... :)

I would like to save it for suggestions Please PM me with the times. THANKS:beer:

P.S. - Depending on how well this goes maybe we could put a link on the team site??? Also, could this be a "Sticky" for a bit????

P.P.S - If you think I am retarded feel free to say so!:D

Thanks

Brad

Last edited:
something the depending on "mainly" on the memory speed & FSB!! so, a equal clock speed CPU, the higher memory speed/FSB one will always crunch faster!

so, i guess it's important to also list the multiplier x FSB plus the speed that memory is running in case for those who's running 3:4, 4:5 memory ratio.

so, do u want us to post the time or not.......(a little confuse in ur sentence....)

Well we already have a page for this on our site, but the guy that was doing them had to stop, and Raven has had some crazy real life stuff to attend to, but he will start updating it pretty soon. You can take a look at what's there now though:

http://www.ocsetiteam.com/other/bench.htm

The TLC bench has quite a large database of older cpu's up to the present. Here's the top 200 list:

http://pages.tca.net/roelof/setispy/tlctop200.htm

I seem to recognize the person in the #1 spot ;)

Ok fixed the sentence.. Thanks. That page is exactly what I was thinking of!!! Except I would like to include cpu's that run slower too....I am going to edit the first post again to include the FSB, etc. I have no problem using the Benchmark page but it doesn't seem to get enough of a variation in chips.

Thanks.

i guess it's mainly due to the fact that here, oc.com team, is soooooo intense in in-team competition! everyone is crunching soooo hard, and doesn't have much time to do the benchmark. and also, Raven has been busying w/ his normal life, and doesn't have time to update it...

but if Raven, TC & Basher don't mind, i could help to take care our benchmark page till Raven come back. 'cos in summer time, my job isn't as busy & i'll have more time to do it. :cool:

I too have been reluctant to do a bench on a couple of systems of mine due to the fact that I don't really want to lose the production. I use SetiWatch so it is very easy for me to get a general idea of where my times fall into. +- 10 min. That is why I thought that this might be a good idea... If you guys would like to just use the bench page that is fine with me.:)

yes Landshark... do it!!!

I submitted benchies more than 3 months ago... never posted...

DO IT, DO IT!!!! :D :clap:

CPU time! Go for a big P4, Abit boards and the best DDR or RDRAM you can find. No way you can go wrong, generally speak. AMD lost the crownd in crunching power, unfortunally.

Morpheus said:
yes Landshark... do it!!!

I submitted benchies more than 3 months ago... never posted...

DO IT, DO IT!!!! :D :clap:
we'll have to wait till Basher & TC agree w/ it first.

agree Hawk! Athlon used to be the cruncher king; however, seems like right now, Northwood have an edge of them. especially those w/ RDRAM!! but even w/ DDR, it's still faster than most XP chip.

LandShark said:

we'll have to wait till Basher & TC agree w/ it first.

agree Hawk! Athlon used to be the cruncher king; however, seems like right now, Northwood have an edge of them. especially those w/ RDRAM!! but even w/ DDR, it's still faster than most XP chip.
I have no problem with you working on the page while Rave is busy, but I don't want him to feel like you're taking it away from him. Maybe you guys can work something out where you split the work up?

i have Raven's email. may be i should shoot him an email first and ask if it's ok to let me help while he's busying. and it has nothing "negative" to do w/ this neither!! :)

Yes Shark. Now that we can potentialy have a Tbred at 2000/2100 range, we can have a P4 at 3000 or more. While average o/c with amd is 1700mhz, intel is 2500/2600. With 50% more clock and a good memory bandwidth, intel is the way to crunch until hammer arrives.
Today my new 2.0A arrives for some torture... and take a look at that 1.6A in the sig.... time to put a V7+ on it.
:burn:

Show me the WU times. I don't give a rat's posterior about the difference in MHz between AMD and Intel. Their architectures are totally different. The P4 architecture does 1/3 less work per clock. If P4's require high AR WU's to shine, what's the point of having a system that looks really good 10% of the time?

I would agree with your conclusion if the Intels weren't so doggone expensive. I can build 2 AMD systems that average 3rs/WU (1.5Hrs/WU since they are parallel) for what it costs to get an Intel that will average 2:30/WU.

Keep your options open, IMO.

I have no idea what chips your comparing to but the low end Northwood's overclock like crazy (1.6a can overclock 1000mhz w/ like a 166fsb with good components and cooling) a 2.26b can hit 3gig again with good cooling and components with an FSB of 180.

SETI will take advantage of those FSB and mem timings and get good times.

The only chips from Intel that are expensive are the real high clock speed ones which won't overclock as good as the low end ones.

IPC aren't the only thing to a chip..

Yodums

Greg M said:
Show me the WU times. I don't give a rat's posterior about the difference in MHz between AMD and Intel. Their architectures are totally different. The P4 architecture does 1/3 less work per clock. If P4's require high AR WU's to shine, what's the point of having a system that looks really good 10% of the time?

I would agree with your conclusion if the Intels weren't so doggone expensive. I can build 2 AMD systems that average 3rs/WU (1.5Hrs/WU since they are parallel) for what it costs to get an Intel that will average 2:30/WU.

Keep your options open, IMO.

What did u call doggone expensive. Today, an intel system cost me less and work more than an amd one, and Tbred don´t change that, because at that price I can build an 3000mhz P4. Six months ago, different history, but today the best crunch for the buck goes to chipzilla.
And for SETI crunching, mhz is not so important than memory bandwidth, and then again P4 comes to the lead (if you can put the right hardware together). Just check the weekly 50 top cpu times, I don´t do that only with high AR units.

It all depends on what your goals are. You want to have fast times. I want to crunch more WU's than the next guy and don't care how long it takes.

I'm kicking around the idea of building a P4. Can you please break it down for me? I recall you mentioning something about the high cost of AMD parts in Brazil. I don't see the same situation here in the States. Can you please list what's in one of your chipzilla crunchers at 3GHz so I can figure out comparatively what you're talking about? Are you running a 1.6A at 3 GHz? Are you using RIMM's? Educate me. Please.

For the sake of comparison, I have a $500 XP 1800+ system that will do a .417 in 3:12, and high AR's in 2:47 (not a stripped down system-40GB 7200 RPM ATA133, 32MB DDR GeForce 2-GTS-V video, 256MB KingMax DDR, etc.). What does it take for you to average 2:40?

Thanks.

Last edited:
You are right, maybe the problem is the price of the hardware here. But let me explain to you what king of system I´m talking about. I use and prefer DDR, then you can use all the same hardware to both systems. PC2700 samsung is the best bang for the buck, as is kind of cheap PC2700 and give me 220/230mhz bus. We will just change cpu, cooler and motherboard for an intel to amd system.
I do test several plataforms to P4 and come to conclusion of the Abit BD7 is the best, because I will hit the best overclock and memory scores. It´s cheaper than BD7II and will give you the very same results.

If Í´m going with a 1.6A, I´ll use an U$ 170 Abit BD7 instead of U$ 120 Asus P4S533, as the asus boards don´t pass the 150mhz bus mark in 95% of the time (14 tested). Then you can go for a 2.0A and asus mobo if you want the cheaper mobo and expensive cpu with the same $50 difference. It´s your choice.
In the first case, paired with a U$ 150,00 1.6A boxed cpu, this will give me $ 320,00 for mobo, cpu and cooler.
The worst case with this hardware will be 2500mhz to cpu and 208mhz to memory. 0.417 unit will be crunched in 2:47
The best case will be about 2750mhz to cpu and 228mhz to memory, and a 0.417 unit will be crunched in 2:32.
Fast and easy.
The high AR units will be crunched in 2:00-2:06 range, but let´s forget about it because the low AR units will be chunched slower than an 1700mhz XP.

In amd corner, I´ll take an 1800+cpu for U$ 150 and the Abit KR7 or KX7 for U$ 200,00. Then I need some very high end air cooler (U$ 60,00) and at least 2 very noised fans to my box, for another U$ 30,00. U$ 440 here for amd system for mobo, cpu, cooler and hardware required by amd overclock.
Providing as I will never do some stupid and burn my cpu, I will end with a very noised box at 1700/1750mhz, and If I have the skill to unlock my cpu, it will work at 200mhz fsb or some.
It will crunch my 0.417 WU in 3:00, best case. If I don´t have this skill, I´ll crunch it in 3:12.

So we are talking about a U$ 120 less and 25´/30´ less for this P4 system.
Keep in mind I´m talking about brazilian hardware prices, so your reality should be different, but I don´t think is that much.

Back