• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Calling Electricians!!!!!!!!!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DUREX

Disabled
ok i knwo someone out there knows hwo to hook up a car AMP to household power liek a outlet i knwo people have done this and i hope someone can explain this to me i knwo its possible my uncle did it he wont tell me but help me out guys PLZ

Mpegger

As bad as it sounds, I'd have to agree with elekt.

The only way I know how to hook up a amp is to use a regulated power supply that puts out enough amperage to power it. But they are expensive.

CrystalMethod

Senior Band Wagon Jumper
Find the specs on your amp. How much amperage it needs, min and max voltage it need to operate, etc...
As opposed to Elect and Mpegger, I think your uncle is doing you a favor by not doing it for you. Basic electronics is something EVERYONE around here should learn. I'll give you a hand if you need it.

Flanagun

well i have done it but i really cheated i hooked up a car battery charger to my amp and plugged it in it works but its not a great solution

OP
DUREX

DUREX

Disabled
theres a way to make it jsut plug in the wall tomorrow i will seee my uncle i have a funeral to be at hopefully he can tell me hehe

The Spyder

man....... a battery charger is a ok idea........ FOR A SHORT TIME..... it supples a constant supply of 12v 6/2 amp power~ it can 1. Not provide enought amps (due to the fact thats what batteries are for.... to provide a source storng enough to draw like 12 amps during starting and when using subs) Subs and speakers draw more when they are on, and up~ so depending on how big the amp is i would worrie about killing the charger and/or the amp....

The Spyder

well....... do you want to knwo how to wire it up for 120v? I would truly use a 12v battery so ya dont kill the charger....... but i would find a stable 12v 15amp powersource so that wehn ya wanna crank it ya have the power~ i think a 10 amp would work too~ but its a matter of finding one~

Daemonfly

Radio Shack carries regulated 12v power supplies that might meet your needs, depending on amp power.

Theres other better ones out there, just Google for 12v regulated power supply.

I have a 10-15v 50A power supply that does that job nicely when I need to test stuff.