• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Calling KD7 owners

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cyberey66

I just got a KD7 from the forums here, and as soon as I turned it on for the first time, something shorted out and burned off the board. I turned it on again, everything seems to work, except there is no audio at all. The audio is seen by windows and the drivers were installed, but theres just no sound output at all.

Can someone take a high res picture of the area on the kd7 that I have a picture of. The red circled area is where the burnt component is, and I need to find out what it is. It's labeled FB32. I would appreciate it alot. I'm surprised the board works fine after that, I'm guessing it was a fuse or something. It my luck though that something like this happens as soon as I get the board.

http://www.eden.rutgers.edu/~mcyberey/kd7.bmp

Sorry, I apologize. I have no digital camera. I might ask you though....is that just a plain KD7? I have a KD7 and the PCB is kinda yellow. Like maybe 75% yellow 25% brown.

Anyways, there is an option in the BIOS where you can turn the onboard audio on or off. Check that first. I do not beleive that section in the photo is the onboard audio chip. It could be one of the lines leading to and from the audio chip though.

Mine is yellow too, I got that image from google, thats just the raid version.

*edit* what audio drivers are you using if you use the onboard sound? I'm using the latest ones from abits site.

*edit again* The small chip up and to the left is the audio chip, I checked realtek's site.

Last edited:
To tell you the truth.....I dont think I am using drivers...I just had sound from the start so I thought "...oh ok...that works..."

But, that could be becuase I had them installed from a motherboard I previousely had, a KT333 Jetway board. You could try installing that Via 4-in-1 stuff that came with the CD. That has drivers for all of the onboard things. You are sure it is enabled in the BIOS though right?

its enabled... I hope that little chip isnt dead. Windows shows it as an unknown multimedia device, but after installing the 4in1s and sound drivers it installed correctly.

I am so sorry to hear that you are having problems with the board. I know that you have probably already went though these steps, but are you sure that the board didnt somehow get shorted to the case? I never did use the onboard audio on that board since I had an Audigy when I was using that board. Anyways, pm me or email me if you need anymore help.

Thanks for the help offers. It was a fuse (im assuming), and I replaced it, so far everything is working 100% now. I ripped one off a dead rage vid card, and soldered it on. It was a pain to solder, the traces on one end got burnt off, so I had to use about 3-4mm of copper wire after soldering it into place. So I guess you can replace those small surface mounted fuses, I just hope this one is the same rating incase something shorts again.

Wow. That is truely amazing. I am glad you have it all worked out. If I need advice on replacing fuses or whatever it was on my board I will definatly talk to you becuase it really seems you know what you are doing :thup: Congrats!

-0cer

Back