• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Came into some hardware, plus what i already have. Need some ideas for use.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TuKr

So i recently got some server hardware from work that they were tossing out. I got 3 gateway servers. If you google srsh4 you will find a manual. Anyway, they each can support up to 4 processors(603 socket) and 24gb(i think)of ddr2. The drives supported are scsi but i got a sata pci card to work so they can run sata.

I also got a 24 port network hub, 8 port network hub. And a full rack mount cabinet to put it all in.

Not to mention my countless amount of pc hardware hanging out. So i want some ideas. Are these server worth anything still and what type of things can/should i do with them.

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
Not much, honestly. Might get a little something for the CPU's and RAM on eBay.

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
Odds are those servers are going to be incredibly loud (if they're anything like the Dell 2U server that I have from a similar time period). Depending on how you feel about the noise you can try running ESXi or Hyper-V (or Proxmox, etc) on it for a play-with virtualization platform. But in all honesty they will likely be quite loud and draw more power than you'd want them to by today's standards. I ended up retiring my Dell server and just building my own similar to what cw has posted in various threads (socket 1366 dual cpu server with 2 45W 4c/8t cpus) and can run very very quietly depending on the fans you have in place.

ATMINSIDE

I took the opposite approach from Janus and set up my server in a tower.
All 140mm fans, sound damping in the case, etc.
Unless it's doing something special I pull under 100W for my server, router, and modem. This is as measured by my UPS.

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
Note that my home server is now in a tower as well (just using an old rocket fish lian li case). It is significantly more quiet than the old dell server

OP
TuKr

TuKr

yeah they are incredibly loud. They are 4U rackmounts. the cabinet i got is about 5 foot tall. I figured i would part them out. the hot swap fans go for about 15-25 on ebay, between the 3 i have 18 of them. i just dont want to wait to maybe hope to sell them, ya know. Do you guys know anywhere that will give a fair price for a quick turn around?

OP
TuKr

TuKr

So i was looking into pricing for the fans, and i was debating on selling them as a fan(without carriage/tray) or a hotswap(original use). it turns out these fans are 7-13V operating range, 1.84A, 22W, 4600RPM- 200CFM, and 19.23 mmH20. thats crazy!!

ATMINSIDE