• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can a 2.53 "B" hit 3.0 on air ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jarett

Registered
want to hit 3 ghz here. Want to get the 2.5 "B" cause price is right. you all think it will hit 3 on air ?

nodsetse

Well when it comes to the B0 stepping, some can and others can't...seems to be luck of the draw on individual CPUs, maybe you'll get lucky. If you can find one, I think you'd have much better odds hitting that speed with a C1 stepping chip. :)

OP
J

jarett

Registered
Where can I buy a C1 stepping chip. Is it just luck of the draw or can I browse around for one at an online store. Will I at least be able to hit 2.8 with it ?

Sakure

Registered
Does that not depend on other things in your system? If you have 3 HDD's and 5 fans, probably not.

pvanosta

Jarrett,
If you want to be SURE you get a C1 stepping chip, you need to buy one of the following

2.50 (NOT the 2.53)

Those are the only three that ONLY exist in C1 stepping.

The rest will follow, but it's the luck of the draw whether you get a B0 or a C1 (depending on how much stock the vendor is carrying..)

nodsetse

jarett said:
is an antec 300w power supply enough ?
Maybe, but I wouldn't be comfortable using less than a 350W. PSU specs are all over the place, and it really comes down to how many much current (amps) the PSU can provide on it's 5 and 3.3 volt rails. When I first got my 1.6a, I couldn't hit 2.4GHz with a 300W unit, and I actually blew the PSU after trying for two weeks. Since then I've used both 400W and 460W, hit over 2.5GHz and have no issues. Get something more powerful if you can afford it! ;)

OP
J

jarett

Registered
I don't wanna get the 2.50's cause they don't run on the 533 fsb