• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can a DSL signal fry the mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bahamet

I do computer work on the side to earn extra money. My latest coustomer has 4 computers in their place of buisness and wanted to get dsl and network the four computers to share the connection. Initially they wanted to share the fax line with the dsl service, after checking with their phone service co. rep. who assured me that there would be no problem with this, waiting for the dsl package to arrive and getting the supplies for all the computers(3 lan cards, 12 port dsl/cable router and all the cat 5 cable to make it work the problems started. After hooking everything together I reliazed that there was no dsl signal reaching the dsl modem. After speaking with the dsl supplier troubleshooter on the phone he sent a tech over the next day.they had to run a dedicated dsl line, and then the primary computer quit. The owner of the buis. takes the dead puter to a repair shop there she was told that the dsl signal will fry a mobo unless you are extremely careful with the instalation. I have never heard anything like this before and would appreaciate any info you all can give on this. And thanks in advance.

PsYcO CyBrArIaN

Well after searching Google quickly I found that if there was not a voltage lowering device at the terrminating end that it would fry it. After the dedicated line was installed the installer must have not installed the cooressponding voltage lowerer or it did not have a compatible chipset or something but yes the inter-office loop carries signals at high voltage and high speed.

The voltage lowering device that I am speaking of is usually incorporated in the end user equipment or data terminal...

xtrmeocr

dsl line --> dsl modem --> router --> computer...and the dsl signal fried the computer? no its not possible.

OP
B

Bahamet

well, whatever caused it the computer died. I spoke with a friend of mine this afternoon and he assurred me that the dsl signal most likely did not fry the computer. And, by the way it was not just the mobo but the cpu, mobo, hdd, ram, dead and some what stinking.

PsYcO CyBrArIaN

If the installer improperly installed it and the carrier line voltage(which IS friable in magnitude) was to touch the terminal equipment it could have done it.......................

Only the high voltage, long distance carrier lines, like the dedicated line they later came and installed, could cause this kind of damage-not the purposely attenuated signal driven to the comp by a router (modem) that this line should be hooked to.

Last edited:
OP
B

Bahamet

well, the phone guy wired a line into the room for the dsl. It has a wall phone jack like all the others. It goes, line to the modem, line to the router, 4 lines to the computers from the router. I just don't see how it could fry it like that.

xtrmeocr

there is no way a DSL tech installing a a dedicated line for the DSL(which is installing a DSL spliiter at the NID and running at line to the phone jack) can fry a computer, especially one behind a modem and a router. while its true there is voltage on a phone line(48v DC i believe) there is no way the tech would have even been near any computers.

DDR-PIII

Disabled
xtrmeocr said:
dsl line --> dsl modem --> router --> computer...and the dsl signal fried the computer? no its not possible.

yeah, I agree, it would have had to fry something else first.

N

nerdlogic

Yeah...I would have to agree too...If the modem and router did not get fried, and none of the other computers got fried, then it'd have to be something else.

Kingslayer

1. Yes you can fry only end components and not those in between. Turn off a light, unscrew the lightbulb, grab your buddies hand, lick your finger, turn on the light, stick it in the light socket.

See who gets shocked.

I have seen lightning strikes destroy only end components like printers and computers and not take the anything in between. Thinks like firewalls, hubs, routers, switches etc.

2. Lightning is one thing, I highly doubt that the low voltage and amps of a phone line is going to be enough to fry a computer.

You either lost the power supply in that computer and it spiked everything in the system.
OR
The tech you took it to is a retard and trying to gyp you.
OR
You took a coincedental power surge.

PsYcO CyBrArIaN

Kingslayer said:
1. Yes you can fry only end components and not those in between. Turn off a light, unscrew the lightbulb, grab your buddies hand, lick your finger, turn on the light, stick it in the light socket. *********************************************

See who gets shocked. ********************************

I have seen lightning strikes destroy only end components like printers and computers and not take the anything in between. Thinks like firewalls, hubs, routers, switches etc.

2. Lightning is one thing, I highly doubt that the low voltage and amps of a phone line is going to be enough to fry a computer.

You either lost the power supply in that computer and it spiked everything in the system.
OR
The tech you took it to is a retard and trying to gyp you. *******
OR
You took a coincedental power surge.

***= Exactly, thank you very much.... A1-Semper Fi

Last edited:
OP
B

Bahamet

well I appreciate all the input. At this point however, the owner of the buisness has decided that I don't know squat about computers, and that everything bad that has happened sofar is my fault. This coming monday I will attempt to finish the job and get out of there in one peice.