• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can anyone enlighten me quickly?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Timmybighands

I am looking at 1*512 Kingston HyperX pc4000 to put into my system. From what I understand, it has samsung chips in it.

I am wondering if this type of ram has any compatibility situations with my IC-7? I want to run 1:1 at roughly 260fsb. Will these modules do it? From what I read, the KHXpc4000 wont clock more than 6mhz more than the rated speed stabily.

I searched, and checked google for reviews... and found nothing of value to me. I turn to you for a little help. Thanks guys.

Larva, as usual - your thoughts are especially appreciated.

TimmyBigHands

I dont know how much credibility it has but i read an article where stated that kingston was buying Samsung IC's as a cheaper prices were involved.. i would recommend Corsiar or OCZ

In this thread I refered to an article on legit reviews which explains a bit about this.

It also says that newer KHX4000 uses Hynix chips, but as usual it is very hard to tell what chips are inside the modules you get.

In either case neither the Samsung nor the Hynix equipped chips where stable at 260, the samsung o/c'd to to DDR510 and the Hynix to DDR518. Though legit have quite high criteria on what they consider stable so I think you can expect something in that range. If you have only one stick I think it will do more.

Not really any of my business, but I can't help wondering why you'd want to swap 2x512 Corsair with BH5 for one single stick of KHX4000?????

If your Corsairs are BH5 you should be able to do better than 250 5:4, especially with the 2-3-3-6 timings in your sig. Or is there a divider issue with your board? I am not really familiar with IC7 so I'll quit while I am ahead.

If you must run 1:1 there are other modules that will do 260 and higher.

Br
hepp

Thanks guys. I LOVE my corsair, and my board works VERY well with it, but I have been wanting to run a 1:1 ratio lately. I'll put my head to it and see what I come up with.

Thanks for all the info so far.

Timmy

That kingston does not come with Samsung chips. I can't remember what exactly they used when I contacted them but it wasn't Samsung b/c that is what I though they used.

Timmybighands,

Fair enough. It's your system and your goals.
I used to feel the same way, and I did run 1:1 for a while.
In fact I probably still would be if I'd had been able to go just a little bit higher. My system was only stable to 260 1:1 and with those Kingston you'll not do much better than that either.

Would you consider another brand?
The new Corsair 4400 might be fun but I guess they will be expensive if you can even find them. OCZ 4200 EL has also been given some rave reviews. Not so much for the 2,5 CAS since I don't think that is worth anything but because they seem to o/c higher than any other hynix based module.

ADATA PC4000 have been known to o/c quite high. Mine would only do 260 but I have only 2.72V vdimm, I assume that your board will give at least 2.85V so you could expect a little better.

Good luck!

Thanks hepp. I passed on the ram anyways, so I guess I'll be shopping for either ADATA or OCZ.

Back