• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can anyone explain me the CPU/RAM ratio divider ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bennethos

Registered
Can anyone of u guys explain me how to understand the number ... lets say 3:4 ?

Im sure it has to do smthing with the fsb etc...

Thx ;):cool:

WyrmMaster

I'm a little teapot Senior
Also, its pretty much useless (with AMD atleast) because it increases the ram bandwidth without increasing the CPU bandwitdh, so the extra doesnt get used. Basically it lets you run the ram at a different speed than the fsb.

Stumpjumper5200

Yeah, that's my major gripe I have with AMD, the memory bandwidth isn't what it could be.

If AMD could boost the fsb like Intel does, as well as get the clock speed up there too (while keeping the performance per mhz it's known for)..........well, Intel would be toast :)

Tipycol

Hehe, would've liked to have seen the new XP's have a fsb of 200 instead of 166 :D
Course only one available board (Asus A7N8X) "could" officially support it right now, and JEDEC doesn't have official support for DDR400 (although this doesn't bother me I know it bothers some people)

Tipycol

There's nothing wrong with running it that way, using the mem divider to increase the memory bandwidth. The thing is that the cpu will only use the bandwidth as if it was DDR324, since that is the fsb.

Nildey

Registered
so shouldn't you have the ratio at 1:1 at all times then since the CPU doesn't use the extra bandwith anyway and you are just OCing your memory unnecessarily?

DipStickTony

On an amd system yes...since the athlon cant utilize the extra bandwidth.

On a pentium4 try and get the memory as fast as possible since they have alot more headroom for extra bandwidth.