• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can anyone guide me through the overclock process step-by-step?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rmolina7

I'm interested in overclocking my Intel Core 2 Quad q8200 @2.33GHz, but I have no idea where to begin. I need someone to tell me what other specs to share here, if I can overclock, if I should overclock, how to overclock, and by how much. Thanks!

This should help: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...lock-C2Q-(Quads)-and-C2D-(Duals)-A-Guide-v1-1

Please list your system specs... motherboard model, exact model of ram, video card, power supply, heatsink on the cpu, case...

I have a Dell Inspiron 518. The CPU is an Intel Core 2 Quad q8200 @2.33GHz. It has 6 GBs of RAM, a 300 W power supply, and an AMD Radeon R7 240. I'm not sure how to find the rest, but it's all what came stock with the PC (the only change I've made was the new video card).

Well... not sure you can overclock my friend. Do you have any overclocking options in the bios (fsb, core voltage, etc)?

I assume its stock cooling on the inspiron?

Well... not sure you can overclock my friend. Do you have any overclocking options in the bios (fsb, core voltage, etc)?

I assume its stock cooling on the inspiron?

I don't even know how to check for overclocking options. And yes, it just has the stock fan.

I don't even know how to check for overclocking options. And yes, it just has the stock fan.
get into the bios and look for the items i listed.. FSB and vcore.. just take a picture and post it. :)

After thinking about it...I personally wouldn't pad mod... can you pad mod his current chip? If so, thats a possibility.. if be has to buy a cpu, i wouldnt, even if the cpu is $40. Id save for a new rig.

depends on the board but since to use the next fsb ie 400mhz/1600, that was on higher end chipsets for the last extreme core 2 intel released. he could pad 1333 to 1600, im sure my table i put together is listed in my thread from ages ago. there might still be the article that was on the ocf back then as well i just dont know if 1600mhz pad settings were listed.

i think he would get a higher clock speed using a Q6600 GO 1066->1333 vs Q8200 1333->1600(if its even possible because of a chipset limitation or so i think). i never messed with lower end boards so yes 1333 to 1600mhz pad mod is a 50/50 shot at best. a pad wont fry the board, worst case it just wont boot, this assumes you double check which pads you doing. since the bsel mod setting is 3 pads on the lga775 to tell the motherboard what fsb setting to use on boot up. now vid pad modding, i think there are six but that is for voltage to feed to the cpu.

Back