• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can Boot in Safe Mode...but not Normal ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gas-man

Hey all,

I'm using WinXp Pro, and whenever I boot up it asks for safe mode or normal boot. If I select safe mode, no problem I get safe mode. But if I choose normal, WinXP either freezes at the loading screen, or loads forever and nothing happens and I have to reset and continue the process.

Ideas?

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
How long have you had XP installed?

How long have you been overclocked?

Have you tried going back to default clocking speeds?

OP
G

gas-man

I don't overclock anything.

I was able to get into windows in safe mode and just format and re-install. Having some tweak problems, but for the most part I'm good.

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
Oh I must have misunderstood your sig numbers and thought your were o/ced. Glad you got it going again.

cmcquistion

IT Director Senior
Did you happen to update your video card drivers recently? I totally FUBARed a Win2K installation, just by installing ATI's newest drivers. I had the same symptoms. Couldn't boot, except in safe mode.

Caffinehog

Übercaffinated Member
Corrupted drivers or system files! God I love Microsoft operating systems. *oozing sarcasm* I know with windows 98, there was a system file checker tool, which I could use to fix most of these problems. I don't know if XP has it.

Caffinehog said:
Corrupted drivers or system files! God I love Microsoft operating systems. *oozing sarcasm* I know with windows 98, there was a system file checker tool, which I could use to fix most of these problems. I don't know if XP has it.

Next time just go into safe mode and set the scandisk to run on startup. You can also load a different video driver or disable any drivers that are suspect.

You can use the install disk on boot up. When it identifies the partition pres r and it will reload windows but keep your settings.

The dual athlon systems have had some Audigy driver problems.