• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can Boot in Safe Mode...but not Normal ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gas-man

Hey all,

I'm using WinXp Pro, and whenever I boot up it asks for safe mode or normal boot. If I select safe mode, no problem I get safe mode. But if I choose normal, WinXP either freezes at the loading screen, or loads forever and nothing happens and I have to reset and continue the process.

Ideas?

How long have you had XP installed?

How long have you been overclocked?

Have you tried going back to default clocking speeds?

I don't overclock anything.

I was able to get into windows in safe mode and just format and re-install. Having some tweak problems, but for the most part I'm good.

Oh I must have misunderstood your sig numbers and thought your were o/ced. Glad you got it going again.

Did you happen to update your video card drivers recently? I totally FUBARed a Win2K installation, just by installing ATI's newest drivers. I had the same symptoms. Couldn't boot, except in safe mode.

Corrupted drivers or system files! God I love Microsoft operating systems. *oozing sarcasm* I know with windows 98, there was a system file checker tool, which I could use to fix most of these problems. I don't know if XP has it.

Caffinehog said:
Corrupted drivers or system files! God I love Microsoft operating systems. *oozing sarcasm* I know with windows 98, there was a system file checker tool, which I could use to fix most of these problems. I don't know if XP has it.

Next time just go into safe mode and set the scandisk to run on startup. You can also load a different video driver or disable any drivers that are suspect.

You can use the install disk on boot up. When it identifies the partition pres r and it will reload windows but keep your settings.

The dual athlon systems have had some Audigy driver problems.

Back