• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I charge my phone with my laptop PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

noname2020x

From what I understand, USB-C can deal with the voltage differences. I'm still afraid to try it.

I have the essential phone and the Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 9575

Just asking the experts to make sure.

I'm definitely not an expert, but isn't the laptop PSU brick somewhere around 19v? I'd be afraid to try it, too. Seems like a good way to let the magic smoke out of a phone.

USB-C will "query" the device to see if it needs a higher voltage (starts at 5V) and then it can supply the 20V or so that a laptop typically needs. I recharge my phone/headphones/everything usb-c with my Dell 95W USB-C charger that I have stationed at my desk. I even have a USB-C power meter that is plugged into it so I see that it does the different voltages/amps.

Assuming we're talking USB-C, it's completely safe. The phone and the charger will negotiate voltage, and that's all that matters. Amperage draw is dependent entirely on whatever you plug in. The charger can't force something to burn out by throwing more amps at it.

The nice thing about USB-C is that it's all compatible so charge away, transfer data to your hearts content, and don't worry about exploding batteries.

Back