• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I do a year-long overclocking project?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sfa ok

Next year I'm taking a class called "Science projects", which consists of making a plan for anything science related, researching a bunch, doing it, and writing a big-arse paper on it, using the whole school year, and getting honors credit for it. At first, I intended to build a turbine ( http://www.gas-turbines.com/ ), but I decided that I value my life. So I'm sitting here with nothing better to do than figure out if I can do a project that would take the whole year that involves overclocking. I figure that it would not only be fun, but I would get to use it as an excuse for playing with my computer at home (I am working on school work!) and spending money on some nice cooling. Back to my original question....can I fill up a school year with overclocking? 90 minutes every other day.

yeah, Unreal is very inportant to have. That is one of the best stability tests you can use. Nothing crashes an unstable CPU better than unreal

Oh Yeah,
Just keep testing different cooling devices and settings, etc. Then test them out playing UT or Tribes 2 to see if they overheat or lock up! Awesome excuse for a school project. Hmm..if you could only get them to pay for your parts...

I think Project IGI is another one good for stability testing. It always ate my old PIII's lunch when I got too high. [grin]

Twofan (Jul 03, 2001 07:54 a.m.):
I think Project IGI is another one good for stability testing. It always ate my old PIII's lunch when I got too high. [grin]

Rally Champ 2000 is the best game I know of for testing the stability of an Overclock... There's not just all of the graphics to be done, there's a lot of car-physics calcultaions running in the background.

RE: the project. The best person to ask is your teacher. They'll be able to tell you if it's a viable project.

I know at Uni we had a semester to work out what we were gonna do before the summer vac then after summer we were s'posed to start the project, along with guidance from all of the lecturers and tutors at the Uni. Typical me, didn't know what I wanted to do six weeks into the first term... (but that's a different story)

Whatever you do, ensure you've got a good gameplan. There's no point just building a PC and overclocking the hell outta it (Where's the Curricular value to that?) AFAIK Projects have got to show some relation to what you are/have covering/ed at school. And remember if you wanna get into College, projects like this are a way to get the admission ppl's attention. "OK what did sfa ok do compared to bod x?" etc.

As long as you remember the "Curricullum angle" when you pitch the idea, the teacher should give it the OK.

You can spend huge amounts of time just investigating roudmaps and specsheets...

but if I were you, I' d try to do something a liitl moer extreem; try oc'ing a 486 to 200 Mhz, it IS possible, it has been done...

The Stickie (Jul 03, 2001 09:15 a.m.):
You can spend huge amounts of time just investigating roudmaps and specsheets...

but if I were you, I' d try to do something a liitl moer extreem; try oc'ing a 486 to 200 Mhz, it IS possible, it has been done...

Was it a DX4? Which god did it?

Back