• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I do this?!? (PC2700 RAM in PC2100 board)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Beelzebub

Can I install Corsair PC2700 DDR RAM in a Soyo Dragon+ or Abit KR7A Mobo intended to use PC2100? Is this a good way to go about making sure your RAM isn't an issue for overclocking, or is it an unneeded expense?

Thanks for the quick reply Starfox. Has anyone out there ever tried it? I don't want to buy the PC2100 RAM if I can make the PC2700 RAM work. I am just gonna get a 333a chipset when they come out and are stable and it would be a waste to have to buy new RAM again.

Yup, pc2700 will work fine. It's backwards compatible, meaning it will work in a slower system. It's the ram of choice in an overclocked system with a higher than norm system bus.

Since it's backward compatible w/ ps2100 memory boards, doesn't that mean that the pc2700 memory will not perform at it's max capacity as it will on board designed for pc2700 memory?

The pc2700 memory will work with your pc2100 board. When the pc2700 memory is installed on the board it will be underclocked to pc2100. That is if you run your FSB at stock speeds and if you raise the FSB you can use the full potential of the ram. Thats why pc2700 is good for overclocking, it supports a higher FSB and runs at higher speeds.

Back