• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Can I get more out of my 4170?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Maybe first 970 MSI board in nearly a year...

I have noticed though that when I up my cpunb, either manually or via fsb, that sometimes my comp will boot up and windows looks funny. Like the task bar gets changed around from its normal look to some kinda weird chromed out thing and if I go into the net, the pages are slow to load and sometimes it stalls out. = CPU/NB handles the cpu to ram tranfers for one thing so if CPU/NB is too high or voltage low it could effect the ram and bad ram often gives bad video so raise the CPU/NB voltage to about 1.225 as AMD says it is good to 1.3 and is usually set by default on most boards to about 1.1 to 1.175.

I set my ram voltage manually in bios to 1.507 and that seemed to help. = I run my Gskil Ares (low profile for large heat sinks, at 1.525 since I put it in their slots. The fact raising voltage seemed to help wonky looking windows would indicate that you are having some issue at that location either CPU/NB speed/voltage or the ram just needed some more voltage.

1 - Should I mess with the cpunb voltage any = Already answered above.

2 - Where can I find what my default cpunb voltage is set at? I am having a hard time for some reason finding it in the bios. = Yours is really the first MSI 970 chipset board that I remember seeing in this forum section in nearly a year. We have seen a general trend to the later MSI AMD boards seeming not to be as good as they used to be so we have not really been suggesting them to users and the number of MSI 970 boards has been zero as I said. To date anyway so we have not seen any pictures posted of the bios to look for settings. Most of us are Asus or Gigabyte.

You might take some pictures of the page or two of bios where you set up overclocking voltages and stuff and attach to the forum and we can all look for CPU/NB stuffs with you.

Good luck and be well man.

RGone...ster. :chair:

Thanks RGone! With that info i can manually set it. I'll give the cpunb a bump to what you suggested and see what happens. As always, won't be able to do so until after work though.

Thanks RGone! With that info i can manually set it. I'll give the cpunb a bump to what you suggested and see what happens. As always, won't be able to do so until after work though.

Crap-0LA work getting into play space. What is it coming too? Hehehe. :)

I have 2 questions : 1 - Should I mess with the cpunb voltage any and 2 - Where can I find what my default cpunb voltage is set at? I am having a hard time for some reason finding it in the bios.

Thanks for all ya'lls help so far, this has been a freaking blast! :bday:

I made a video a while back showing how to unlock & clock a 960T and i used a msi 890fx board and the bios should be similar if not the same layout, ive included a link to the video and if you look around the 3 min point you will see that there are two NB settings, one is CPU/NB VDD and the other is CPU/NB voltage, if you bump the voltage one up one notch, then raise the VDD up, and it should raise the voltage up with it, this seems to be the way msi uses a sort of LLC (god only knows why) RGone has already told you the recommended settings for this.

Awesome man thanks! I'll give it a look in a little while, should have some time to kill here in a bit.

The bios is different looking from the uefi one for sure. It looks like you set the vcore and then went to the cpu vdd ( not sure if I have seen that in bios or not) and as you raised it, what i'm thinking was the vcore went up as well?

If you're board Is uefi then it's probably not the same, but if it has those settings then it's best to use it like I did, it works the same with NB as with the vcore . You're bios is probably Totaly different and this is a bit misleading, I apologise if it is, just trying to explain the CPU/NB voltage from other options in you're bios, as it can be a bit daunting looking at a bios

Nooooo doubt! I know my first endeavor into all this was with a Phenom II x2 555 that I managed to get unlocked and stable @3.4. The first time I opened the bios I thought, wtf have I gotten myself into. I had no idea what any of that stuff was. I have to admit, I am diggin the uefi bios compared to that one with the blue screen. I feel like its made this round so much easier along with help from this forum.

So I'm trying 2600/2600 again @4.6 with the cpunb upped to 1.225 and memory @ 1.507.

When I got home and fired my rig up, everything was normal in windows (I made the change to the cpunb voltage before i let it boot ) now I'm just running prime to see if it'll make it 2 hours or if its gonna crash out 1hr30 again.

If this runs stable, I'll probably end up playing around and seeing if I can get it safely to 4.7.

:D before I go though, any of you guys who have read through this, would you recommend I look at upgrading ram, getting a water cooler or an ssd? I made a post in the general hardware area, but I will admit I didnt mention anything from this post and the couple answers I got went towards the ssd. What do yall think?

Thanks again for all your help and great info, you guys have been awesome :thup:

A ssd will be the biggest performance boost you can give you're pc, it's like day and night in terms of where you're at now with a mech drive, if I could recommend one thing only to people wanting to boost performance it would be a ssd

3 outta 3 so far with same answer :) i see a pattern here lol. Research and shoppin time!

Almost to the 1hr mark again, still goin strong

Put an SSD in my laptop the other day and now it performs like a desktop, to put it in perspective.

Illegal sumout, oh well no biggie. It was fine at 2400/2400 so i'm good with that. Temps ran @ 49 on cores w/ a spike to 54 somewhere along the way. I guess if thats my limit, then I would say this is done and victory achieved. (for now :D ) Thanks yall!

Back