• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I get my 1.6a any higher?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jarablue

Registered
Hey all. I have a Asus P4B266-C and a 1.6a at 1.6 volts running at 2208. Not bad but I wanted to get higher. My fsb is running at 138 with a 1:1 ratio. Everytime I run Prime95 at anything higer then 138 I get hardware failure. What should I do? Should I increase the voltage? Would that help? I don't know what else to do. Or maybe this is the max this chip will do? If you guys can let me know I would appreciate it. Thanks.

OP
J

jarablue

Registered
Ok here goes
Asus P4B266-C
1.6a @ 2208 1.6 v
IBM 120 GXP 40 gig
Mushkin cas 2-3-3 ram 512 megs (1 stick)
Radeon 8500
generic enlight power supply 300 watts (came with case)
Intel nic
sbilive 5.1
pioneer 106 dvd
liteon 32x.

And I am running Windows XP pro. All the updates and patches I have. Let me know what I need to do. Thanks.

RobP4P

could be your powersupply can't put out the juice. I'd try pushing your mem timings waay down to make sure your ram isn't crapping out, check your cpu temps then possibly push the voltage a little higher. you still got a 2.2ghz chip there one way or the other!

OP
J

jarablue

Registered
Yeah I just ordered an Enermax Power supply from newegg. Man I wanted to hit 2.4 too. Do you think if I pushed the voltage higher it would work?

tainice

it depends, but sinec you hit 2.2 on 1.6v, you still got like .1~2v to fool around; however, you really have to be careful about your temp tho. best keeps it under 45c if i were you.

jdmcnudgent

jarablue said:
Ok here goes
Asus P4B266-C
1.6a @ 2208 1.6 v
IBM 120 GXP 40 gig
Mushkin cas 2-3-3 ram 512 megs (1 stick)
Radeon 8500
generic enlight power supply 300 watts (came with case)
Intel nic
sbilive 5.1
pioneer 106 dvd
liteon 32x.

And I am running Windows XP pro. All the updates and patches I have. Let me know what I need to do. Thanks.
first things first, do you have the jumper set on the board for the max v-core voltage? it will get you up to 1.75. second, i assume that you have pc-2700 ram. there is a special bios for this board from vapochill, and if you have it, you can set your v-core all the way up to 2.1 i believe. if you are not fortunate enough to get the bios, you will have to do the v-pin mod to get your v-core up higher, and over clock your cpu higher. i was at virtual pc's yesterday and my buddie put this board into the VC and is waiting for the bios, needless to say, about 135 was the highest we could get it without the bios and without the v-pin mod.:D

OP
J

jarablue

Registered
No I don't have 2700 ddr. I have 2100. I will check to see if my board is jumpered for the higher voltage. Do you think it could be my ram that is crapping out? But then why would it fail in Prime95 which only tests the cpu? I was thinking of upping the voltage on my cpu first to maybe 1.65 or 1.70 then tryiing to up the voltage on my ram if that doesn't work. What do you think?

jdmcnudgent

jarablue said:
No I don't have 2700 ddr. I have 2100. I will check to see if my board is jumpered for the higher voltage. Do you think it could be my ram that is crapping out? But then why would it fail in Prime95 which only tests the cpu? I was thinking of upping the voltage on my cpu first to maybe 1.65 or 1.70 then tryiing to up the voltage on my ram if that doesn't work. What do you think?
i dont really know about the ram, not too familiar with it, but i think that it might be your v-core that is crapping out. without higher v-core, no higher fsb. you need to obtail the custom bios first, and if you cannot do that, do the v-pin mod, and then go from there. if you do the mod, you will be able to go higher, and next when you crap out, it will be your ram.:D

DaveB

I really think heat is the issue here. You can eliminate the DDR by simply underclocking it in the BIOS. These CPUs draw a lot more power as they are overclocked and upping the core adds to the problem.

OP
J

jarablue

Registered
I am thinking without that little 12v four pin connector plugged in that is what might be keeping me from getting higher. I will check this out when I get home. Heat should not be the problem I have massive cooling on this sucker. I hope the little 4 pin thingy when I plug it in will let me boot to 2.3 at least.

Prime95

Registered
jarablue said:
Do you think it could be my ram that is crapping out? But then why would it fail in Prime95 which only tests the cpu?

Prime95 will pound your ram. Overheating, reaching the limit of your cpu, or reaching the limit of your memory are the most common reasons for prime95 errors.

MadMan007

Magical Leopluridon Senior
1) Are you still using the stock HSF?

2) Yes, you really need to plug in the ATX12V connector or at least a Molex connector that ASUS has as an alternative. This plug supplies extra current to the P4 and as long as you have it, use it!

Post back when you do this and tell us if it helped.

OP
J

jarablue

Registered
Well I bumped up my vcore to about 1.625 and I am running stable at 2224. The thing that is kinda wierd thought is when I boot it kinda get's stuck at the ram test. Which leads me to believe my ram is crapping out on me. What do you guys think?

JBatOC

Registered
To me, it might be RAM crapping out or CPU being overheated. Go to health monitor in BIOS and check out the temperature. I'd think normal PC2100 should be able to take at least FSB 140MHz or so but amybe I am wrong.

s7e9h3n

Registered
Have you tested for stability yet? In my experience with my rig, when my system would hang on the boot up, that would mean that I wasn't totally stable at that speed. Sometimes it would boot and run low level programs fine, but when the resources started getting used up......BSOD.