• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I install a newer CPU without installing windows 10 and my other software?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eaglepi

I bought a Elgato 4K60 Pro MK.2, Internal Capture Card and it worked perfectly until the capture software had a update. I contacted Elgato support and they had me uninstall the update and reinstall the version I had when it worked. I did that but still no luck. In the end they said,

" The current CPU is a 4th-generation i7 processor. The minimum system requirement is a 6th-generation i7 processor."

If I decide to buy a gen 6 i7 cpu, can I install it without installing Windows 10 and all my other software?

I remember this from a couple of months back... processor confirmed.

Anyhoo, does your board support 6th gen chips? I think you need another motherboard for that. If you go Intel, you can drop the install on it. You should be ok, but there's always a chance it will get wonky.

I bought a Elgato 4K60 Pro MK.2, Internal Capture Card and it worked perfectly until the capture software had a update. I contacted Elgato support and they had me uninstall the update and reinstall the version I had when it worked. I did that but still no luck. In the end they said,

" The current CPU is a 4th-generation i7 processor. The minimum system requirement is a 6th-generation i7 processor."

If I decide to buy a gen 6 i7 cpu, can I install it without installing Windows 10 and all my other software?
No you can't install a 6th processor on a 4th gen motherboard.

4th Gen = Haswell = LGA 1150 Motherboard

6th Gen = Sky Lake = LGA 1151 Motherboard

No you can't install a 6th processor on a 4th gen motherboard.

4th Gen = Haswell = LGA 1150 Motherboard

6th Gen = Sky Lake = LGA 1151 Motherboard

When/if you replace the motherboard & CPU, Windows will most likely deactivate. You will need to enter a new Windows key to get it to activate.

Back