• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I IP Filter using a Linksys router and a hub?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RideGuy

Here's what I want to do, but I'm not sure if it's possible.

I have 13 computers. I want 6 of them to have full access to each other and the net. The other 7 I want locked down so they can't see any other computer, and only have access to certain ports.

Already in place is a D-link 24 port hub, hooked strait up to a cable modem. They have no security from the net or each other. I want to put a Linksys VPN Router (BEFVP41) between the cable modem and the hub.

I know if I assign static IPs to computers hooked directly up to the Linksys router I can block using IP. My question is, will I still be able to do this if I have the hub between the router and the computers? Will all traffic (including local) still go threw the router?

It will look like this: Cable modem -> Linksys Router -> D-link hub -> 13 computers.

Thanks in advance,
RideGuy

nerd4life

hope someone corrects me if i say anything wrong here. =P

i would set it up like this off the top of my head. have the 6 you want to have access to everything grab an ip address from the router. if you dont want the other 7 to have access to the internet, static them up under a different ip range. that would still give them access to each other, but not the other 6 or the internet as far as i understand. so if the 6 have ip range 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.7 then put the other 7 on 192.168.1.1. to 192.168.1.8.

as far as i understand it, wether they all have the same ip range or not, not ALL of your traffic is gonna go through the router. if computer A sends out a packet to computer B, the only hop the packet should make is your local hub. the router and all the other computers besides B should grab the packet and simply discard it. the only time the router should have through-traffic is when you try to connect to outside sources.