• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can i join ATX PSU in series/parallel?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

witchhunter

Registered
I need 15V 25A PSU for my 220W TEC. Secondly I have space for only 2 joined PSU, and the only 12V 13A PSUs available are ATX ones. I know that with ATs there's no problem, but what about ATX? Can they be joined parallerly (spel?) ?

I really can't afford spending 120$ + 30$ shipment to get a nice 5.25 fitting unit... any other suggestions for making/building such a PSU?

equalizr

i tried that a year ago (followed all directions) and my rails went way down below what they were supposed to be.

if you want something like that..buy a redundant PS

petreza

Hi,

here is an article BUT:

Do this at your own risk!!!!!
And I am not talking about frying you system -
THIS STUFF CAN KILL YOU!!!!!!!!!
Be sure you know what you are doing!!!
There is stuff in the PSU that needs to be discharged!!!!

LINK

OP
W

witchhunter

Registered
Got that article already, but you see, as much as i rememer there is no word about using or not using ATX supplies... that's the reason for that thread...

OP
W

witchhunter

Registered
There is a 1-2 ohm resistor mentioned in that article, what if I wanted to bridge the 5V lines, do I still need a resistor across 12v?