• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I mount a 120mm fan on an XP90C ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mixman

I want to try an XP90C because I hear it the best in air cooling....even if it's a degree or two over the XP120 and I have some really good 120mm fans lying around that would be perfect. So, I want to know if I can use a 120mm fan with an XP90C ? Do I need a 92-120mm fan adaptor ? If not how will I mount it ? Oh, and would it give better cooling than a 92mm fan will give ?

Aidenswarrior

Mixman said:
I want to try an XP90C because I hear it the best in air cooling....even if it's a degree or two over the XP120 and I have some really good 120mm fans lying around that would be perfect. So, I want to know if I can use a 120mm fan with an XP90C ? Do I need a 92-120mm fan adaptor ? If not how will I mount it ? Oh, and would it give better cooling than a 92mm fan will give ?

i dont think you can, though i never thouhg of an adapter, though that would prolly make it too tall to fit in your case. If you have good 120 fans, just get an xp-120.

infini

LoL, The Xp120 is so exellent. It looks entimidating in pics and in my hand, yet it's soooo light. I think my Ram is heavy :) It's very easy to install, my OC is great, stable and cool.

But email Thermalright for Mobo compatability. Mine Mobo was not on the list but they said it would work. It fit's perfectly.

The Antec P180 Case is great, but looks a little tight with free space. You can always Jerry Rig a 120mm fan if you have to time and want to put in the effort. Just make sute it's a good fit and nothing is going to melt :)

poogl3

Does the XP-90C attach to a fan by screws or clips? If it uses the clips, it might be hard to find a 12cm>92mm duct which will clip properly. If that worked however, I see no reason why the 120mm fan wouldn't work. Might even boost performance a degree or so.

Electron Chaser

Senior Delta Fanatic
Mixman said:

I see in your sig that you already have a big Typhoon on one of your rigs and therefore know that it or an XP-120 would not fit on your DFI Lan Party.

While you could try to use an 120 to 92mm adapter and try to attach it straight to an XP-90C it would not work very well and I personally would not trust it. Since you would have to make your own wire clips or wire tie a 120mm fan onto the heatsink in order to hold it in place furthermore if you did not use an adapter a good portion of the fan would be hanging over the sides of the heatsink and that would be where the majority of the air flow would go and not down through the heatsink where you need it to be. Or worse yet it would create so much back pressure due to the adapter as to defeat the purpose.

Now there is a way to do it and do it right so that you would get the most airflow where you need it and still use a 120mm fan.

Here is how you do it.

Take a 92 X 38 mm fan and gut it out. Keeping the shroud of the fan as a spacer.(You could use a 25mm fan but I recommend a 38mm fan due to the increased width to allow better air flow with less turbulence)

Next using a 92 to 120mm adapter. screw the adapter to the top of the spacer and the 120mm fan of your choice to the adapter. Now what you have is a nice spacer that will not only eliminate the dead spot from the hub of your fan and give you better cooling but in addition since the blades now spin further away from the fins of the heatsink you get less air turbulence and therefore less noise as well.

Since you use the existing clips that came with the heatsink to mount the 92mm fan shroud onto the heatsink you need to make no changes to your heatsink either.

Here is a pic of something similar I did with my XP-120mm however notice that I did not need to use a 92mm Fan shroud or an adapter since I was able to use 120mm fans.

Installed_Duct.JPG

I have been running this setup for well over a year and I have had no problems at all. So yes the clips will hold provided that you attach them correctly of course.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
OP
M

Mixman

poogl3 said:
Does the XP-90C attach to a fan by screws or clips? If it uses the clips, it might be hard to find a 12cm>92mm duct which will clip properly. If that worked however, I see no reason why the 120mm fan wouldn't work. Might even boost performance a degree or so.

It fits by clips. I was wondering whether a 120mm fan would cool a little better too ?

Aidenswarrior

i dont understand, if you are buying such a good heatsink, you mayaswell just get a good 90mm fan... an adapter would be very hard to rig and isnt worth the time and effort. get a tornado and a fan controller and you will be set. i got under 30 degrees celc with a normal xp90 equipped with an undervolted tornado. So yeah, use the 120 fans somewhere else.

Electron Chaser

Senior Delta Fanatic
Aidenswarrior said:
i dont understand, if you are buying such a good heatsink, you mayaswell just get a good 90mm fan... an adapter would be very hard to rig and isnt worth the time and effort. get a tornado and a fan controller and you will be set. i got under 30 degrees celc with a normal xp90 equipped with an undervolted tornado. So yeah, use the 120 fans somewhere else.

Why a Vantec Tornado (Actually Sunon makes it) is a good fan. personally if you are going to get a really top notch 92mm fan with the highest CFM of any 92mm fan on the market putting it on par with the CFM output of some 120mm fans, then accept no substitute.

Delta 92x38mm TFB0912UHE Ultra High Speed (142 CFM) of pure Power

the Tornado only packs 119 CFM. Or you could just do what I explained above and do the same thing only quieter with a 120mm fan.

Last edited:

Aidenswarrior

Electron Chaser said:
Why a Vantec Tornado (Actually Sunon makes it) is a good fan. personally if you are going to get a really top notch 92mm fan with the highest CFM of any 92mm fan on the market putting it on par with the CFM output of some 120mm fans, then accept no substitute.

Delta 92x38mm TFB0912UHE Ultra High Speed (142 CFM) of pure Power

the Tornado only packs 119 CFM. Or you could just do what I explained above and do the same thing only quieter with a 120mm fan.

because the tornado undervolted will be much quieter and still give great performance.

millhouse

Mixman said:

Im sorry, but this just doesnt make sense to me. Why not just get the xp-120, si-120, or scythe ninja if your gonna use 120mm fans? Maybe even the scythe shogun. They all use 120mm fans and are right up there with the xp-90. Some even better.

John Crichton

Registered
He probably just wants an all copper HSF for his cpu to pair with a decent 120mm fan. I can't see any wrong in that. There may not be any "pretty" way of doing it, but there's no doubt that this can be accomplished.

Good luck.

Wiggles

EC has the best idea. A gutted 92mm to a 92mm to 120mm adapter, and then mount the 120mm fan of your choice.

Much cheaper than buying a new HSF, especially if wanting to keep the xp90c.

HousERaT

Senior Air Extraordinaire
I've done this with my XP-90c. You have to use the 80mm fan clips. It's not a perfect fit but snug enough that the fan won't come of. I used a zalman 120 and a Sanyo Denki 120. Both were quieter than my 92mm Delta Triple Blade but the performance wasn't quite as good..... less than 5°.

ziggo0

Would you get better performance using a guted 120mm fan as a spacer then a 120mm fan attached to it?

Electron Chaser

Senior Delta Fanatic
This is a perfect example of what I was talking about above. With the 120mm fan hanging over the edges of the heatsink and since air will always take the path of least resistance you were losing most of your airflow to the outside of the heatsink. While I am sure it helped to keep your MB cooler it didn't help your CPU temps obviously.

If you direct and duct the air down into the HS you lose no air flow or pressure.

GonePostal

Make a duct that fits the 120mm fan and shrinks down to 92mm. To make it easy to install and uninstall, secure the 120mm fan to the duct so it's one piece, and secure the duct base to the heatsink with the stock fastners. This will require a bit of fabrication obviously, but it's well worth it in the end when you have a finished product that's better than any off the shelf solutions available.

nd4spdbh2

just go out and buy an SI-120.... you will not be dissapointed... the thing was actually lighter than my stock hsf but cooled twice as good.