• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I overclock any higher?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CareyPrice31

Registered
First time I have ever overclocked..all I pretty much did was jump the Bus up to 230...it wouldn't boot at 240. This is a brand new computer that I just recently built.
AMD 955 BE AM3
M4A77TD-PRO
8 gigs of Kingston DDR3..4 gigs running at 1066 and 4 at 1333. (4 gigs of lower end came free with the motherboard)
Antec 300
CM Hyper Z600 cooler
2 HD4670 1gig video cards running in cross fire. (got them realllllly cheap)
850 PSU.

Everything runs perfect at the current overclock temps don't see anymore than 41 under stress test. Is there anything I should change or I can do to get 3.8-4

Attachments

• Overclock1.jpg
    Overclock1.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 171

Bobnova

I don't see any core temp data.
However, you have plenty of voltage to go (1.45-1.5 is the max), so i'm going to say yes.

tool_462

Assuming it is 100% stable at that speed and voltage, yes, you can go higher. Looks like a pretty good chip.

OP
C

CareyPrice31

Registered
Wow thanks for the quick replys guys..so I should just up my voltage a little bit? This is my absolute very first time overclocking and ill check that guide out.

tool_462

Wow thanks for the quick replys guys..so I should just up my voltage a little bit? This is my absolute very first time overclocking and ill check that guide out.

Basically...yes.

Read the guide though, it will help you approach OCing from an objective standpoint. Best to know what effect the settings will have so you know how to adjust for stability later :)

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Also note, your memory is all running at the same speed. Your 1333 is running at 1066. 8GB is likely going to hold your overclock back a bit b/c of hte stress it puts on the Integrated memory controller (IMC).

Basically...yes.

Read the guide though, it will help you approach OCing from an objective standpoint. Best to know what effect the settings will have so you know how to adjust for stability later :)
EXACTLY.

OP
C

CareyPrice31

Registered
Bad news..i was messing around with the cpu voltage in the bios..all i did was press the + for one increase showed up something like 1.050...i pressed F10 for save and reboot and now i have no picture...powers on but nothing comes up. any suggestions?

OP
C

CareyPrice31

Registered
Bad news..i was messing around with the cpu voltage in the bios..all i did was press the + for one increase showed up something like 1.050...i pressed F10 for save and reboot and now i have no picture...powers on but nothing comes up. any suggestions?
Could it be a fried cpu?

Bobnova

Nah you're fine. CPUs can take a kicking these days. Long as you stay under 1.45v and under 65*c you can't really kill it.
The CPU-NB (read that article on OCing AMD cpus) wants 1.3 or less, 1.175 is stock if i remember correctly.

If you reach another point where it just flat won't POST (Power On Self Test, that first screen with a bunch of numbers and such) just reset the bios. You're bound to run into it again :p

OP
C

CareyPrice31

Registered
Nah you're fine. CPUs can take a kicking these days. Long as you stay under 1.45v and under 65*c you can't really kill it.
The CPU-NB (read that article on OCing AMD cpus) wants 1.3 or less, 1.175 is stock if i remember correctly.

If you reach another point where it just flat won't POST (Power On Self Test, that first screen with a bunch of numbers and such) just reset the bios. You're bound to run into it again :p
Hahaha yea I ran into it one more time...right now im at 3.8 1.4v and stable so far (I ran prime95 and everest). Might try to push some more out of it...it hasnt even been over 46* so far so it might have a little more in it.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
How are you testing "load"? Load its tested by using a stress test program like Prime 95, Small FFT's or OCCT and its stress tests. 46C seems AWFULLY low for a load temp at 3.8Ghz...

Are you using Coretemp to view temps?

OP
C

CareyPrice31

Registered
How are you testing "load"? Load its tested by using a stress test program like Prime 95, Small FFT's or OCCT and its stress tests. 46C seems AWFULLY low for a load temp at 3.8Ghz...

I used Prime95 on the small FFT test..ran for about 30 mins and than I ran everest for an hour. Im not at home atm but I will post pictures tommorow

OP
C

CareyPrice31

Registered

Sorry for the delay..here is what I have so far, haven't touched the ram timings yet..still trying to figure them out and fully understand it. I ran Prime95 small FFT test and I also ran Everest stability test. :beer:

Attachments

• Overclock2.jpg
    Overclock2.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 110