• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I RAID WD100BB and WD100JB ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iparout

Registered
The question is simple :

Can I RAID the hard drives I mentioned above. They are both 100 GB, 7200 RPM ATA100 and the only difference is the cache (2MB for the BB, 8 MB for the JB).

Is there gonna be any problem when RAIDing those ? (i.e. performance handicapps) ?

Thanks in advance.

you can raid them but you'll lose the performance of the 8mb cache, so both will operate with 2mb cache. I suggest you don't raid them

raid <> a gain.

data safety == 2 drives for the space of one
extra space == greater chance for data loss

oh, and its not good to use dissimilar drives. it's called a mirror for a reason

But the drives are the same, save for the cache, right?

Well, I think that it would work, and you'd theoretically have a 10MB cache, but I'm not sure. It might go like Johnny Knoxville said, and reduce you to a 2MB cache on both drives (giving you a theoretical 4MB cache).

The only way to find out is to try! :)

Oni said:
But the drives are the same, save for the cache, right?

Well, I think that it would work, and you'd theoretically have a 10MB cache, but I'm not sure. It might go like Johnny Knoxville said, and reduce you to a 2MB cache on both drives (giving you a theoretical 4MB cache).

The only way to find out is to try! :)

Unfortunately, I can't spend $250 on a hard drive just to find out that it won't RAID flawlessly with the one I already have... ;)

Back