• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can i remove my old heatsink from the cpu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

luismxc

Registered
I have in duron 750, that came with the good ol' standard cooler. I want to remove it to install a better one. My installation guide says i cannot do this because of the "phase-change thermal adhesive present betwin the cpu and the heatsink cannot be reused".
If i can remove it, what heatsink should i use ? (im thinking in the GlobalWin FOP38).
Do i have to buy thermal compound also? What type?

Thanx!!!

It_The_Cow

You could re-use the thermal compound, but it would just be easier and better to get some Arctic Silver II. Svcompucycle.com has them on sale for $3.99 and it does wonders. AthlonOC has a pretty comprehensive round-up of some good heatsinks here

JigPu

Inactive Pokémon Moderator
What they are talking about is the thermal tape on the bottom of the heat sink. If you get a good heat sink (don't ask me which.. I haven't got one yet...) you would want thermal compound like arctic silver 2 to make it work the best. You could buy some more of that tape, but the people here at the forums seem to dislike the stuff.

JigPu