• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I run a 15volt pelt with a 24v PSU.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ad Rock

I need a response on this within 36 hours since the auction ends for this item by then. This is why I created a seperate thread for this question (it is also in my other thread in this section).

Ok I found a PSU on ebay that I really like the looks of but its a 24v PSU. Here are the specs:

300w, 24v (Adj. Range 19.20-28.80), 14amps.

Now can I use this PSU with this pelt:

# 50mm x 50mm x 3.6mm
# 130 - 170 Watts of cooling power
# Operates from 0-15 volts DC and 0-15 amps

They are rated at 0-15volts and I can adjust the psu down to 19.20 volts.

Now I have no idea how electricity works but can I run this PSU with the first pelt listed in my first post? Is there a problem running a 24v PSU with a 15v peltier. Again I know nothing about how electricity works so if this is going to be a problem please do not give me TOO hard of a time :p.

i'm no expert but since you want a quick answer i would NOT do that.

what i do know: pelts become more and more inefficient at higher volts (up to rated voltage where they're very inefficient) so i really can't imagine them over rated volts :eek:

i'm no expert but since you want a quick answer i would NOT do that.

what i do know: pelts become more and more inefficient at higher volts (up to rated voltage where they're very inefficient) so i really can't imagine them over rated volts
100% Correct. Your Peltiers might survive the higher voltage but the coefficient of efficiency is going to decrease dramatically. Basicallly your peltier will start producing a lot more heat, and wouldnt be absorbing as much heat on the cold side

you could do a voltage divider to trim the volts down.
NO, no, no no....
Voltage dividers only work for low power (current) devices, such as fans, etc... A voltage divided would have to be a BIG resistor to dissipate the extra energy, thus creating a lot of unnecessary heat. Also, voltage dividers only work when resistance of the load (Peltiers in this case) is constant. From my personal experience that is not the case. Peltier's resistance changes depending on the temperature on the two plates.

Borisw is completly right. On the other hand I would say buy it for future upgradable use. You could easily make your own connector with a simple ceramique resistor to lower the voltage down to 15 volts. As he said this will make a bit more heat. But then again with a well placed resistor and a fan blowing on it it MIGHT only heat up you case temps buy a degree ot 2 depending on your case size and airflow system. The beautifull thing about it is taht a simple resistor is not dependant on how stable the current is. Otherwise you can use something unstable like a peltier and provide clean enough power for it to use 24/7.

Simple answer is if you like it that much and it's cheap buy it. You can make your own plug and add a resistor to lower the voltage. It may take more time to research the math to add the correct resistor but then you also have a durable nice PSU for future upgrades also.

If it is less than $50 USD before shipping, then buy that PSU dude :).

You cannot use this PSU with a lower voltage peltier, overvolting peltiers does not work well at all. But, there are many peltiers out there that are specc'ed for ~24V, and a 19-24V variable PSU with 12+ Amps on it is a very good find because of this.

A 40mm 172W/24V peltier will be just fine with this PSU, and on ~22V will outperform or match the 50mm 170W/15V peltier that you already have in mind. I do believe that there are some beefy 50mm ~220W/24V peltiers out there as well: I know that you are interested in using a larger 50mm peltier for your custom setup :).

felinusz said:
If it is less than $50 USD before shipping, then buy that PSU dude :).

You cannot use this PSU with a lower voltage peltier, overvolting peltiers does not work well at all. But, there are many peltiers out there that are specc'ed for ~24V, and a 19-24V variable PSU with 12+ Amps on it is a very good find because of this.

A 40mm 172W/24V peltier will be just fine with this PSU, and on ~22V will outperform or match the 50mm 170W/15V peltier that you already have in mind. I do believe that there are some beefy 50mm ~220W/24V peltiers out there as well: I know that you are interested in using a larger 50mm peltier for your custom setup :).

I was going to ask you about this last night before you left but I forgot to.

I am thinking I basically have two options here:

1. Go with the PSU off ebay which with shipping will proboly cost me about $60 usd and a 172w 24v pelt from Danger Den which is $45 usd (shipped) = $105 usd total.

2. Buy a Meanwell PSU that is 320w,25a, 12v for 100 usd (shipped) and that 170w/15v pelt off ebay for $20 usd (shipped), or maybe even go a little nuts and get the 245w/15v pelt for 25usd (shipped) = $120-125 usd.

The second option is more apealing I think since I can mount the PSU inside my case which is a big deal for me ( I would really like to have my system contained in one unit). However I do have plans to build my own phasechange unit this summer so I could always mount the 24v PSU inside the case I make for the phasechange unit.

Also dont worry Felinusz I will be creating my custom set-up no matter which pelt I end up running :D.

Last edited:
or maybe even go a little nuts and get the 245w/15v pelt for 25usd (shipped) = $120-125 usd.

This will be, by far, the performance route to take, and you would be able to easily stick that Meanwell PSU inside of your case as well.

1. Go with the PSU off ebay which with shipping will proboly cost me about $60 usd and a 172w 24v pelt from Danger Den which is $45 usd (shipped) = $105 usd total.

That will give you the next best performance, although the 40mm peltier is a bit less of a challenge ;). This would also involve the 24V PSU that is (I assume) larger and a little less aesthetic. Aesthetics are also really important in my opinion ;)

2. Buy a Meanwell PSU that is 320w,25a, 12v for 100 usd (shipped) and that 170w/15v pelt off ebay for $20 usd (shipped)

This will leave you with the worst performance.

can you send me a pm with the item number ? I was just looking at a 24v 447W pelt :D

anywho - IMO get the 24v psu (if it looks quality made) as this choice will allow you to upgrade to crazier 24v pelts in the future
but if you think a 12v pelt is all you'll need and you wish to keep it all in one box then the internal 12v is indeed the best choice

oh by the way werent you gonna run the 170w off your ocz ? a bit confusing considering your other post
or you want to run 2 pelts ?

D

Last edited:
ZL1 said:
can you send me a pm with the item number ? I was just looking at a 24v 447W pelt :D

anywho - IMO get the 24v psu (if it looks quality made) as this choice will allow you to upgrade to crazier 24v pelts in the future
but if you think a 12v pelt is all you'll need and you wish to keep it all in one box the the internal 12v is indeed the best choice

oh by the way werent you gonna run the 170w off your ocz ? a bit confusing considering your other post
or you want to run 2 pelts ?

D

The Item # for which item? The PSU or the pelts?

As for me trying to run the 170w off my OCZ after talking with Felinusz he/we came to the conclusion that it wont be able to handle it effeciently.

I know my mess of posts are confusing but I think I finally have it all sorted out now. Now I just need to wait patiently for my stuff to arive in the mail so I can start the process.

Ad Rock said:
The Item # for which item? The PSU or the pelts?

As for me trying to run the 170w off my OCZ after talking with Felinusz he/we came to the conclusion that it wont be able to handle it effeciently.

I know my mess of posts are confusing but I think I finally have it all sorted out now. Now I just need to wait patiently for my stuff to arive in the mail so I can start the process.

the psu, I was lookin at 447w pelt, I want to cool the cpu :)

I actually agree (as posted in the other thread), but I was a bit confused

so what you plan to do ? 12v or 24v ? my guess would be the 12v 320w psu
and the 245w pelt - was I right ? :)

Thanks
Dan

ZL1 said:
the psu, I was lookin at 447w pelt, I want to cool the cpu :)

I actually agree (as posted in the other thread), but I was a bit confused

so what you plan to do ? 12v or 24v ? my guess would be the 12v 320w psu
and the 245w pelt - was I right ? :)

Thanks
Dan

Yep I am going the 12v route, and since I have decided to do this I will give you the item number since I wont be biding on it ;) . The item # is 7503589840. Hopefully you can win that PSU man, looks like it is a nice one :D.

Ad Rock said:
Yep I am going the 12v route, and since I have decided to do this I will give you the item number since I wont be biding on it ;) . The item # is 7503589840. Hopefully you can win that PSU man, looks like it is a nice one :D.

dang it not enough amps :(

the pelt I was looking at needs 25A at 24V

Thanks
Dan

ZL1 said:
dang it not enough amps :(

the pelt I was looking at needs 25A at 24V

Thanks
Dan

Ya I stated the amperage in my first post but I guess you missed it. That sounds like it is going to be a massive PSU. Good luck and I hope you find what you need.

As for me 17more hours until the perfect PSU for me is mine :D.

Ad Rock said:
Ya I stated the amperage in my first post but I guess you missed it. That sounds like it is going to be a massive PSU. Good luck and I hope you find what you need.

As for me 17more hours until the perfect PSU for me is mine :D.

nope missed the amps needed by the pelt on frozencpu's page, lil small footnote, go find it :)

I think I wont go with it though, too much energy, it would need a 600w psu, thats more than an ac :)
= about +25 a month in electric bills :(

Thanks
Dan

PS Update on your progress man, would be interesting to see some numbers
you got the 245w pelt right ? on a vcard that should do very nicely

ZL1 said:
nope missed the amps needed by the pelt on frozencpu's page, lil small footnote, go find it :)

I think I wont go with it though, too much energy, it would need a 600w psu, thats more than an ac :)
= about +25 a month in electric bills :(

Thanks
Dan

PS Update on your progress man, would be interesting to see some numbers
you got the 245w pelt right ? on a vcard that should do very nicely

Ahhhh that sucks about the pelt, but your right that thing would draw a HUGE ammount of power. For that ammount of electricity you could be powering your own phase-change unit.

Also dont worry I will make a nice huge post in both the cooling/video sections when I get my project complete.

Part of it involves me making my own custom coldplate for it so I will proboly do a write-up/build-log of it too. Yep I am think a 245w pelt should let my x800pro really fly once its all done :D.

Ad Rock said:
Ahhhh that sucks about the pelt, but your right that thing would draw a HUGE ammount of power. For that ammount of electricity you could be powering your own phase-change unit.

Also dont worry I will make a nice huge post in both the cooling/video sections when I get my project complete.

Part of it involves me making my own custom coldplate for it so I will proboly do a write-up/build-log of it too. Yep I am think a 245w pelt should let my x800pro really fly once its all done :D.

yep I weighted the whole thing and a phase would be about the same price in the long run and it would yield much better results, only problem is I dont quite have the money for one :(

I'll keep an eye on the cooling forum, I really want to see the temps :)

Good luck man !

D

Back