• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I run an 1800+ on a board that only supports up to 1400+?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alacritan

After my Shuttle AN35N crapped out, I had to use an old Biostar M7VKD with a 900mhz Duron. I'm thinking of using my old XP 1800+ (that was replaced by my 2500+ Barton) because the Biostar board supports 133 FSB. Now it only officially supports up to a 1400+, so do you think it'll work? I would think so, but will the northbridge give me problems? It's still 133FSB, so it shouldn't, right? This is my dad's board I'm borrowing, so I don't want to go and fry it (especially before I get my new mobo).

I can't say for sure, but it probably will work. My 1800+ worked fine in my old Abit KT7A. It didn't support any Athlon XPs, but it worked anyway.

Also, I was unaware AMD ever made such a low rated Athlon XP. What were the original XPs ratings, anyways? I figured it was 1700+ because Thunderbirds stopped at 1.4 ghz, and the 1700+ is hardly clocked any higher.

if i remember, the athlon 1500+ (1366 mhz) was the lowest built...........best to check your mobo's website and see what it'll handle - my neighbor got a duron 1.4 applebred and it wouldn't run on an old asus a7a266 without a bios update..........(he gave it to me and i've got just the mobo for that chip, hehe)........

I don't know. It says up to 1.4Ghz on the specs card. I assume it'll work, I'm just making sure before I kill something that's not mine. Theoretically it should be fine, since it's still a 133FSB chip, but you never know....

thought the XP's started around 1000MhZ. . . . . I have a 2000+ stuck in some old HP board rated for a 1000 and it runs at 2gHz. 100X20. . . go firue . . and it kicks A$$ too

Z

the 1400mhz cpu they are probably talking about are the thunderbirds. its quite a bit different then an xp.

Alacritan said:
I don't know. It says up to 1.4Ghz on the specs card. I assume it'll work, I'm just making sure before I kill something that's not mine. Theoretically it should be fine, since it's still a 133FSB chip, but you never know....

Just to clarify XP1400 is not 1400MHz (or 1.4GHz). The Tbirds stopped at 1.4GHz. The XP's started with the XP1500 that was clocked at 1.33GHz (multiplier of 10, FSB of 133MHz). Since the multipliers are locked on the Pally's, the speed shouldn't be an issue as far as your m/b supporting the processor. However, processor recognition might be an issue, since it is possible that your m/b only officially supports Tbirds, not Palominos and up. It might not work at all, or it might work but not be fully functional (e.g. the SSE instructions added with the XP's might not be utilized). The best bet would be to see if there's a BIOS revision that explicitly mentions support for AthlonXP processors.

you're dead on, deadkenny - that's what i also typed earlier........ just cuz your mobo handles something on the same bus speed & megahertz doesn't mean it'll handle the architecture of the chip - best to check w/your mobo manufacturer........look for necessary bios updates to handle the later cpu's...........

PCluva said:

I believe there was a AMD Athlon XP 1400+ (1200mhz) :confused:

Edit: XP-M1400+ (1200Mhz)

If that's true it's news to me. When the XP's were first introduced the slowest was the XP1500 at 1.33GHz. In any case, to be consistent a so called XP1400 (if it existed) should have a multiplier of 9.5, and a clock speed of 1266MHz.

%99.9 YES!

Since the Biostar M7VKD is a socket A KT133A chipset board I would bet you could get a Tbred running on that board.

In the last year or so I’ve seen twenty or thirty people on this site getting Tbreds working in their older boards, the only KT133A chipset board that I’ve seen so far that wouldn’t run a Tbred is the Iwill.

I have gotten Tbreds to work on a number of KT133A boards and also KT133. But you do have to unlock the 5th L3 if you want to run higher multipliers. These boards don’t recognize the 5 fid multiplier configuration only the older 4 fid multiplier configuration. But you can get them working.

Check out this thread of people with older Abit board getting Tbreds running on their boards. I’ve seen Asus and Soyo boards with Kt133A having the same results and I'd be willing to bet you do too.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=158672

Last edited:
I'm 90% sure that a Kt-133A chipset will only work with a Palimino core version of the XP and the T-Bird. The T-bred version will NOT work. They made XPs with the palli core up to the XP2100. They started the T-bred at the XP1600 (I think). Therefore, when looking for compatibility, you need AMD part number that starts with AX and not AXDA. You may also need a BIOS update for the board to work properly.

don256us said:
I'm 90% sure that a Kt-133A chipset will only work with a Palimino core version of the XP and the T-Bird. The T-bred version will NOT work. They made XPs with the palli core up to the XP2100. They started the T-bred at the XP1600 (I think). Therefore, when looking for compatibility, you need AMD part number that starts with AX and not AXDA. You may also need a BIOS update for the board to work properly.

You are %100 wrong!

Most KT133 and KT133A boards will run Tbreds, The fids are the only thing in the way but you can use a wire mod or blow some L3 bridges to get the multiplier you want. Many people have done this on this site in the last year.

Here is a good site that has a lot of info on this subject.
http://www.beachlink.com/candjac/index.htm

eze16 said:
The 1400 is a Tbird You can still buy it for $41 bucks

The Tbirds pre-date the latest iteration of the PR naming standard. The Tbird was not an XP1400. It wasn't an XP at all. It was a 1.4GHz Athlon.

I never said it was an XP ,I said it was a tbird 1400.Look in your own cpu data base to see.If that is wrong then you need to change the info in the cou data base.

Back