• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I run an AGP card in a PCI slot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

krag

Classifieds Moderator
A friend wants me to put a 3d card in his computer, but he doesn't have a AGP slot. Can I still put in and use it like I normally would?

1) What do I have to do differently than an AGP install?
2) Will it be a big performance drop?
3) The card will be a GF4mx.

Thanks, krag

An AGP card cannot be fitted in a PCI slot
1)don't know, maybe someone else could help
2)There WILL be a performance drop but games will still be playable
3)a GF3 Ti500 is better than GF4 (except if you already have it :) )

Are there 3d pci cards? If so what is the make and model.
Thanks krag

Yes there is.

You can get a GeForce2 MX 400 for PCI. You just plug it in, and Windows will detect it. Install Nvidias own reference drivers. Remove the old video card first though, hehe.

An AGP video card will spank a PCI card with the same chipset, but a video card like the one above should do OK, even as PCI.

well, i don't think i've ever seen any G3 or G4 on pci. the last time i saw one, it was a G2mx200 32mb by visiontek. also the ATI Radeon 700 64mb is also a PCI. the best and newest videocard out now is designed for AGP, since running in PCI its so much of a performance drop. Visiontek Xtasy 5332 and 5664 also comes in PCI, you can check them out here under Retail Product. Good luck!!!:D

Thanks fellas, man I got alot of info in a short amount of time. It's like:
WHAM BAM! THANK YA MAM!:D

Yeah man, this forum is the TOTAL BOMB! I used to go over to sysops forums but there is a lot of jerks over there. You ask them a question and all they want to do is argue and fight. I gave up trying to get any help out of them. This forum is AWESOME. I allways get GREAT help for all of my computer problems. Man guys, I just... ahh... I just don't know what I would do with out ya!

Thanks Bros, krag:D

i've got a geforce2mx400 PCI card on my compaq. It has 32 mb of DDR.

If you can afford it get the 64 meg version.

either way, i stepped up from 8meg onboard So I was lovin the gf2. It made everything sooooo much smoother.

You might try to talk your friend into getting a mobo that has an agp slot, the ECS k7s5a's are around fifty bucks right now, they have an AGP slot and support DDR.

It's about 70 bucks for a decent PCI video card. I would try to save up another 30 or so.......then you could pick up a lower end AGP card and a AGP mobo. This'll help speedwise, plus it'll help your expandability in the future since you can get a DDR mobo plus more PCI slots, and a higher processor rating for the board.

i would recommend you look for a voodoo card they make good pci cards and there is a lot of 3rd party drivers that will work on all systems i once had a voodoo 4 pci and it ran all my drivings games well and i think you can find a voodoo 5 pci and probably wont cost you too much.

Back