• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can i use a 3pin fan splitter on my AIO?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaitlin4599

ok so heres the dilemma im in. i recently upgraded to an all in one liquid cooler for my hp Z400 desktop, and the power connector for the pump doesnt reach the cpu fan power header so i was wondering if i could use the 4pin fan splitter i have on my AIO liquid cooling pump so that the pump can reach the correct header. as u can tell from the pic of my pump it has a small extension cable with a 5th wire that 5th wire is designed to tell the computer that im using a high powered cpu fan for my 6 core xeon cpu.

Everytime I boot up the PC it says: "517-Low Power CPU Heatsink(s) detected for High Power CPU(s)"

the motherboard is seeing no ground contact at pin 5. The Performance fan has a ground jumper wire from pin 1 to pin 5.

right now i have the pump plugged into a 4pin header but because of this the 5th wire isnt able to tell the mobo that im using the correct heatsink for my cpu can i use the 4 pin splitter on my AIO pump since it has a separate plug as seen in the pix below

dont wanna ruin or damage my aio setup

HTB1DYpINXXXXXaQXXXXq6xXFXXXE.jpg PER.813075.jpg

Attachments

• s-l640 (1).jpg
    s-l640 (1).jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 473

MaddMutt

The picture is not clear enough or have given US the model of the AIO. I will still try to see if I can help :)
In the picture, it looks like the AIO 4 pin power connector is 1" ~ 2" long. Then there is a specialized 4 pin to 5 pin connector for the motherboard. If this is correct then all you need to do is place YOUR 4 pin cable in-between the AIO's 4pin and the SPECIALIZED 4 pin to 5 pin motherboard cable.
If the AIO is wired as a 5 pin product, then someone else will need to step in this morning....sorry bad night :(

OP
K

kaitlin4599

The picture is not clear enough or have given US the model of the AIO. I will still try to see if I can help :)
In the picture, it looks like the AIO 4 pin power connector is 1" ~ 2" long. Then there is a specialized 4 pin to 5 pin connector for the motherboard. If this is correct then all you need to do is place YOUR 4 pin cable in-between the AIO's 4pin and the SPECIALIZED 4 pin to 5 pin motherboard cable.
If the AIO is wired as a 5 pin product, then someone else will need to step in this morning....sorry bad night :(

judging from looking inside my case it looks the the 4-5pin cable is seperate from the main cable coming out of the pump

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
Agreed in that we need to know what make and modle your AIO is. In which case I would then google the manual to figure out what a 5 pin connector is and how they expect you to use it.