• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I use a router without using the router?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Staz

OK

I have a home network set up. I have one puter set up as an internet gateway. Everything works good. I am on dial up as I live in the middle of the sugar cane fields and we don't have broadband out here.

Well I got my wife a Pocket PC for X-Mas. She wants to be able to go online with it. So I go to compUSA and make a mistake. I asked a salesman. He said I could get a compact flash (no duh the guys at PDA buzz already told me to get a linksys CFW12) and get a 4 port router with WiFi. So I told them that I didn't have broadband. They said no problem just use the switch and don't set up the router.

Well it isn't working. I cant figure out how to get the PDA to talk to the rest of the system. Anyone have a clue on how to set this up??

TIA
Maurice

Those things have a built in switch. Plug your PC into the switch, get the PocketPC onto the wireless network, make sure they have the right ip settings, then they should be able to talk to each other.

Course, Wince out of the box can't do a whole lot with networking but you can try to use the Terminal Services client to get a session on your PC, or try to look at a file share with the file manager in CE. Better yet, just try to ping the PocketPC from your Linux box.

Back