• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can Liquid Metal be used on 100% Copper IHS/Heatsinks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rev_Night

Registered
Hi all,

I am about to tackle a few liquid metal projects (1 cpu, 2 gpu) using TG Conductonaut and I thought I had all my bases covered. Now I am reading that TG only recommends using it on nickle-based copper IHS/heatsinks. All 3 of the intended items are 100% copper, not nickle based. Does this mean that I can't use liquid metal on 100% copper? Will it need to be replaced in a year? I have zero interest delidding this yearly. A few reddit threads are saying that GA + CU = CU Alloy, can lead to issues.

FYI, I will be using Kapton tape around all dies/heatsinks to help protect the pcb. Delid will be sealed in the 4 corners by crazy glue.

CPU: I7-6700K Delid. Copper IHS from Rockit 88
View attachment 211365

GPU 1: Sapphire Pulse 5700xt
View attachment 211366

GPU 2: Sapphire Nitro 480x with Arctic Cooler Twin Turbo II
View attachment 211367

:welcome:
I don't know the answer to your question. What I do know is that liquid metal tends to be too expensive and too much of a pain to apply, clean and re-apply as needed. The gains for all of the trouble tend to not be worth it if you are running stock or anything below an *extreme* OC.

Edit: What does the manufacturer of your product say? Do they state that their liquid metal should be installed on nickle?

According to their website:
"Note: Conductonaut thermal grease must not be used with aluminum heatsinks!"

https://www.thermal-grizzly.com/en/products/26-conductonaut-en

Edit2: Can be used on copper and nickle plated copper.
https://www.thermal-grizzly.com/images/downloads/TG_Conductonaut_ShortApplicationGuide_EN.pdf

Last edited:
LM is totally fine on 100% copper.
If applied properly you'll never have to replace it.
My own 6700K has been fine for years now.

Back