• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can mobos run higher chips than allowed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JohnnyTheRed

For example the specs on an Abit KT7A say it accepts up to a 1.4ghz Athlon. However, since it's a socket A mobo, can I run an XP1700 or such in it? Will it just run at 1.4ghz? Or will the mobo not even recognize there's a CPU on the board?

Sonny

Senior TIFOSI
IF it boots you can run whatever speed your board + chip combination is capable of. The max speed rating is really more of having the right Multiplier Factor for the chip, so that when you place a chip with a 10.5X Multipier you get Athlon 1400MHz in the P.O.S.T. screen, for it to be recognized.

The biggest issue is if the power regulation on your board is capable of running a T2B, hopefully it is. Check the ABIT section for success stories on this particular combination & also some of the failures;)

trulyred

I would have to say thats up to your bios.With the latest bios you maybe able to run what you want. of course you will be limited by your fsb but everything else will work....

Caffinehog

Übercaffinated Member
Sometimes it will, sometimes it won't. Often, a new core such as the palomino or thoroughbred or the barton will not be recognized by the board. On the other hand, the old 760MPX chipset was designed for palominos, and it works with tbreds and bartons, too.

knif_00

Let me just say this. .
the Abit KT7A (raid and non raid)
is one BAD MOTHER of a Board

::knif_00::