• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can my fan controller handle the 92mm vantec tornado

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrpringle

Registered
Hi,
I have a vantec tornado 92mm version (12.5W, 1A) which I can currently control using a sunbeam (manual style) fan controller which can handle the fan without a problem.

I've bought a new case (gigatech shinobi) which has a flip lid on the front cover, so my fan controller won't fit in the drive bay because the knobs stick out and the font cover wouldn't be able to close.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if the fan controller, built into my new case, would be able to handle the vantec fan's current requirements, because I know some fan controllers can't handle a fan that draws as much current as the tornado does.

What are your thoughts? Has anyone tried the fan with my case by any chance.

Does your case come with any documentation about the fan controller? Do you have a website for your case, because I couldn't find one. AFAIK, that would be the only way to tell, short of hooking it up and hoping for no sparks/smoke.

The case comes with some very poorly written instructions about how to use the front lcd display, but no specifications anywhere. I couldn't find any information online about the case.

:welcome: to the Forums, mrpringle.

Do you have a pic of your case? Sometimes the Sunbeam can be mounted inward some to clear the cover you mention.

Where on this earth do you live, if I may ask? :)

archilochus said:
:welcome: to the Forums, mrpringle.

Do you have a pic of your case? Sometimes the Sunbeam can be mounted inward some to clear the cover you mention.

Where on this earth do you live, if I may ask? :)

I live in Melbourne, Australia.

I plugged in my 120mm sunnon fan (~6W) to the case fan controller and it blew the fan channel, so I'm guessing it won't handle a 12.5W fan too well either.

I have mounted the fan controller slightly further inside the bay so the knobs are still easily accessible and the case can close nicely. I'll just plug the cpu fan into the mobo, leave the gpu fan plugged into the gpu, and plug teh case fans into the fan controller.
I'll install the temp sensors belonging to the case, but let the fans be controlled by software.

Last edited:
Back