• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can not find msvcrt.dll

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xtrmquestionx

Ok well Im getting tired of this computer. Its a work computer and this error just started happening today. No one installed anything on the computer or thats what they say.... anyways when im starting up the computer an error pops up that says that it can not find c:\windows\system\msvcrt.dll I tried starting it in safe mode but the same thing happens. Windows won't start up it just goes to a grey screen like when there is just a monitor and not an acctual computer. I've been looking on the internet to help figure out how to fix this but the only way they describe how to fix it is if windows is acctually working. The only thing I can do is get in ms-dos. If you know how to fix this please help me thank you.

Tipycol

Don't know if this will work, but maybe you could find the dll online, though I don't know where, and use MSDos to put it into the system directory. It'll probably be fixed if Windows was reinstalled, but then you might lose data in some directories. What Windows version is it anyway?

OP
xtrmquestionx

xtrmquestionx

Oh I forgot its windows 98....I was going to copy the dll from another computer in the office and put it on a floppy then put it on the computer but I don't know how to move it from the floppy to the windows

Tipycol

Oh that might work. Once in the Dos and A: prompt, just type in
COPY msvcrt.dll C:\Windows\System

Doing that will copy the file to that directory

OP
xtrmquestionx

xtrmquestionx

Ok well that worked but now it will only start in safe mode. While it was restarting I held down ctrl so the start up menu thing would come up and I selected normal and it started up in safe mode. So now how do I get it to start in nomral mode?

Tipycol

Hmm I'm not sure. Try restarting it again and selecting Normal and see if the same thing happens.

OP
xtrmquestionx

xtrmquestionx

Ok well that worked....Now I have to reset everything on the computer. I have no Idea what happen. Stupid computer

OP
xtrmquestionx

xtrmquestionx

Nope not working fine anymore. It won't get on the network. Stupid *** computer. everything is set correctly but the nt logon does not come up before windows starts like it is suppose to. I wasn't thinking and I added a user thing so now you have to logon to the computer. How do you take that thing off? lol. Fix one problem create another problem :(