• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can overclock using AMD Overdrive, but same settings in BIOS fails FX-6300 MSI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CalebtheImpaler

So, I can overclock my FX-6300 in AMD Overdrive. Left the base clock as is and increased the multiplier so my frequency ended up being 4.5 GHz. Then upped the CPU voltage accordingly to 1.4125 volts. Then confirmed my clock was set using CPU-Z and Speccy. Ran Prime95 for a few hours, no errors, temp maxes out around 58 degrees Celsius.

Now, I can't do the same overclock when trying to set it through BIOS. If I remember correctly, I can get the frequency up to 4.3/4.2 Ghz. I can set the voltage to 1.375 volts or so, but anything after that and the computer fails to POST (CMOS reset, everything's fine). Why?

I suppose I could be missing an obvious setting in the BIOS. Anyways, here's my motherboard MSI 760GM-P34(FX) (I know it's bad, new to this). Thanks for looking!

My guess is the board/bios. That board really isn't meant for the FX especially overclocked. My guess would be that the power draw during start up is tripping the boards limit and causing a no boot situation. when you were stress testing were you watching the CPU clocks? It could be throttling

Johan45 beat me to it. Other than a better mobo, the only solution I can think of is to have AOD apply the settings at start up. You'll be in the Windows environment by then and it should hold the settings.

My guess is the board/bios. That board really isn't meant for the FX especially overclocked. My guess would be that the power draw during start up is tripping the boards limit and causing a no boot situation. when you were stress testing were you watching the CPU clocks? It could be throttling
I would seriously consider getting a much higher quality board if you want to OC the 6300. Msi hasn't been well known for quality AMD AM3 boards. I've seen first hand 2 higher end Msi boards blow, overclocking less power consuming chips. If something like that happens you'll be lucky if only the board goes. It could take other components with it as well. Seeing smoke coming out of your Pc case isn't a very nice sight!

- - - Updated - - -

It didn't seem to be throttling. It seems that CPU-Z is the de facto program for this, and it was stable (as far as I can tell) in that. I'm more used to Speccy, and it was definitely a stable 4.5 GHz there. As far as benchmark performance goes, there was an increase in benchmarks which would make one think that there wasn't any throttling. Real world, BF1 seemed the same performance-wise 4.5 GHz or 4.3.

- - - Updated - - -

Johan45 beat me to it. Other than a better mobo, the only solution I can think of is to have AOD apply the settings at start up. You'll be in the Windows environment by then and it should hold the settings.

Yeah, I was considering that. I'm worried if I'll be able to sleep/hibernate any more though. Maybe I could write a script/schedule a task to reapply default settings before sleeping.

- - - Updated - - -

I would seriously consider getting a much higher quality board if you want to OC the 6300. Msi hasn't been well known for quality AMD AM3 boards. I've seen first hand 2 higher end Msi boards blow, overclocking less power consuming chips. If something like that happens you'll be lucky if only the board goes. It could take other components with it as well. Seeing smoke coming out of your Pc case isn't a very nice sight!

Yeah I'm seriously considering it. The "Sata III" ports aren't quite up to spec either. I bought this board and CPU because my graphics card was getting bottlenecked and I simply didn't know much about motherboards in regards to overclocking at the time (2 long weeks ago haha), so the cheapest was ideal.

Yeah I'm seriously considering it. The "Sata III" ports aren't quite up to spec either. I bought this board and CPU because my graphics card was getting bottlenecked and I simply didn't know much about motherboards in regards to overclocking at the time (2 long weeks ago haha), so the cheapest was ideal.
Cheap and overclocking do not go hand in hand, especially with a Msi board.

AMD Overdrive and similar software are not reliable on stability it might seem stable but you will get crash all of the sudden meaning you are unstable. Had some bad experience with Overdrive and Gigabytes software. First of you need board as they said above secondly cooling at least 212/x evo and some fans. I would never go below 100$ for the board for OC-ing mine was a bit more than 100$ and works perfectly, but cooling suffers a bit.
I tried doing same thing on my old board and it would heat up like mad, board itself not the cpu necessarily and couldnt go above 4.0. Now I have room for at least 4.6 or more when I solve cooling problem. Anyway good luck

The VRMs will make some heat OC the octo core FX chips. A lot of people rig a fan to cool them. Gigabyte wouldn't be my first choice to OC a FX, either. The boards trents suggested are as low as I would go for the task. The M5A99FX Pro is a good board, I had one with a hex core. The Aurora has had some good results here, too.

For the price you can't beat the ASUS 970 Gaming pro Aura, typically cheaper than the M5A99FX

Back