• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can PC work without a Case?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ap673

Haha i know this sounds retarded, but I was wondering if a pc would work without a case, if you had all the other components. How would you turn it on? I have some old parts that could form a pretty nice rig for my friend, and he was just wondering if he could just use it without a case, and just lay them on a desk or something. :eh?:

JDXNC

yes you can run without a case. Turning it on simply involves jumping the pins on the board where the cable for the front panel normally plugs into.

Lots of Folder's run caseless systems. You just need to be careful that nothing gets damanged and is not in danger if being damaged... moved, dropped etc.

N1vek215

Truth

Just have the system on a flat wooden surface or something, near nothing metallic. Also don't forget about dut, and if you have pets, keep the parts on a high place.

I always check systems out of the case before I start to install it all in my case, all because once I built a system and put everythign nice and tidy and then when I flipped the switch, the mobo came damaged :(

JDXNC

I must add that its VERY important that you don't lay the motherboard on anything even potentially conductive or you risk shorting it out.

I took a piece of plywood, marked where the normal motherboard mouting holes are, drilled them out and glued in some of the plastic mouting standoffs, works great!

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
I cuncur. I have my back up 1.6Ghz rig on an end table next to my desk folding away. I'm using the case for my new dualie which is en route. I'm a sort of packrat and save important spare parts likr switches, LED's, etc.

Nothing a spare on/off switch can't fix :D

Mr.Radar

Just be sure that the switch is like the ones on real cases where it doesn't stay depressed. If the circuit remains bridged for a long time it can damage the mobo (someone killed their mobo by not noticing the reset switch was stuck in for a few hours, it wouldn't boot afterward).

Radical

You could aslo save money since there wouldn't be a case to fill with noisy fans :thup:.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
BTW, you can buy a button/switch to use as a power button from radioshack or any electronics place for a buck or so.

A lot of reviewers use caseless test systems... Things are much easier to work with when you just have everything laid out in front of you.

Tismedt

Shadow ÒÓ's after me!!!
My folding farm is 4 motherboards sitting on the boxes they came in on a shelf in my garage. I use a small standard blade screwdriver to jumper the pins on the on/off header to start each one. Its not much to look at but it gets the job done. Just make sure its in a secure place as has been mentioned.

Electron Chaser

Senior Delta Fanatic
Get a nice sheet of 5/8 or 3/4" Plywood layout your parts to see how much space you need. Cut wood into any desired shape. Sand it. Stain it. Seal it. Get some plastic Stand-offs for your motherboard and screw it to the wood. Mount the rest of your gear. You will need to make a bracket of some sort to hold your cards in place. Then hang it on the wall. It does make a nice converation piece.

Enablingwolf

Senior Member overclocking at t
The only issue I ever faced with a homeless MoBo was that the cards were stable, and making sure the cables don't pull them out of wack. Jumping the pins is really easy, or modding/converting a switch from salvaged case. Finding a non-conductive base to keep it happy is easy, so it don't decide to make sparks.
Dust is the other main concern I had. IMHO dust can be conductive if you live in a highly humid area. But otherwise I went like 5 months with no home for a PCchIpS(crap)/900AthlonTBird. lol HoBoMoBo

orion456

What about the 2Ghz radio waves? With a case the frequencies are contained inside a metal case. Is there any danger over time of getting too much radiation from all those high frequency components? I mean, unlike your cellphone which is broadcasting a few milliwatts at best, your CPU consumes watts of power. Anyone ever measured the radio energy coming from a mobo?

Dubbin1

orion456 said:
What about the 2Ghz radio waves? With a case the frequencies are contained inside a metal case. Is there any danger over time of getting too much radiation from all those high frequency components?

Just be sure to wear your tin foil hat and you will be fine :-/

Quailane

My comp is just sitting on the box it came in. PSU, hard drive, and cd drive sitting on table next to it. Never any problems. To start it, I just short the pins on the motherboard with a razorblade.

Hellion

LOL, this thread is funny. Sounds like you can do it though, so when you do...post some pics so we can see how it worked out for ya.