• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can some1 explain to me what this guy did?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zig Ziglar

Registered
And possibly give advice on how to do it? The guy installed his harddrive backwards and some how jimmy rigged his powercable to it....I'm really interested in doing this when I mod my antec 900 case

edit: 4got pics, 1 sec lol

img2629dq4.jpg

tool_462

Many PSUs you can simply unclick the SATA power connector and simply "click" it back on to the wire at whatever length you choose. They have a sharp edge inside the connector that will cut through the wire's sheath and make contact with the actual copper on the inside. All you need is a fingernail or a small screwdriver to pop the hinged cap off the top of the connector.

tool_462

hmmm, and then you will have to resheath the part of the wire that was stripped? Can you do this with any psu?

You don't have to strip anything. You can see in this pic what the inside looks like, just open the clip and pull the wires out, put it wherever you want, and push the wires down in, close the clip :)

sata1.jpg

Not EVERY PSU has that kind of connector, but a large number do.

Neuromancer

You can buy snap ons, if you have a cable with only two sata plugs get the adapter and pop it on half way between them

Antec PSUs used to come with the adapters I kept mine laying around and fixed a couple of psus to fit HDDs in a cage (Really do not know why they have them spaced so far apart normally).

tool_462

That's exactly how mine are, how hard should it be to push the wires back onto the clip?

Yep, Corsair have these type.

It is a little hard to push them back in, I just use my thumb but you could use a flathead screwdriver with a tip that isn't too sharp I'm sure. Or just grab either side of the wire and push down with the connector flat on a table top or something.

Bobnova

Just don't get the wires in the wrong slots :beer:
I would definitely take some electrical tape and cover the slices from where the connector was previously.